The tree as a series of parts- Lonsdale

I know this subject was brought in a while back but it died a death but deserved more attention, the link to the freely available paper written by Dr Lonsdale, (time limited I believe so grab it now!) at An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

I have long felt this matter needed some further promotion/incorporation in the minds of arbs, just needed the right guy to say it, the right way, as always Lonsdale on point:thumbup1:

I offer a few images of my own of the tree as a discrete series of separate channels, potentials and dysfunctions.

597668e68ac2d_HatfieldhouseATF11102012105.jpg.b6bd4a6a56e1699348fbc9d3e404f15c.jpg

597668e68f094_AR124th9th2010398.jpg.d95275ccd579d1a403890250acae75f5.jpg

597668e6909ef_berkograves5810196.jpg.9073f660964b217164229887d6d49ed5.jpg

P1000532.jpg.cce456222b6186d4f3c4da6a402b19e5.jpg

597668e693cf1_windsorpip1012.jpg.2ed5059ffb1d148841e653d88efeb11c.jpg

If you really want to understand decay/dysfunction and the potential for managing and retaining trees that at first glance appear to be in a hazardous or declining state then aside from a bit of background reading one needs to take a paradigm shift in thinking. The typical view is that of the tree as a single functional unit, hence the often knee jerking that goes on when a fungal bracket is observed on one or several partitions of the segmented or as Tony S says the mosaic like nature of the tree.

When combined, the full appreciation of the mechanics, the mosaic like community of channels and the nature of decay organisms or strategies will more often than not offer many avenues and options, and a far more balanced and objective view of the trees true condition.

Our job is to work in the best possible and most informed state, all too often the easy option is taken.

Please take the time to read this article by Lonsdale, and also the paper by lynne boddy and Alan rayner from the 80's no less, Boddy and Raynor.pdfadd a little VTA from Mattheck and youll be well on your way to fully understanding and appreciating the true nature of the trees you work on everyday.

That last oak is cracked!

It may be time to install some support, so those parts remain close together, if longevity is desired. Perhaps an article on support is needed in that journal, to shift the paradigm toward bracing as an option.

Couldn't find the Lonsdale paper in that link; just a lot of golden opportunities to spend $46 USD per article. Time to join and subscribe?