Caribinars

aiclark

Hey arb dude's , in the arb trade it is recognised that we use three way locking caribenars . Could anyone tell me whether or not the new black diamond magnetron is possible to use instead . Any info would be great thanks arbist .

Edited by aiclark
Predictive texting

Hey arb dude's , in the arb trade it is recognised that we use three way locking caribenars . Could anyone tell me whether or not the new black diamond magnetron is possible to use instead . Any info would be great thanks arbist .

The magnetrons are awesome, and the name is bad ass for that reason I'd say yes.

Unfortunately having used them it's a no as they are two way as in pinch and open, for belaying in rock climbing great commercial arb no. They are very similar to I think it was skylotec's pinch lock biners that we're also deemed not suitable.

Karabiners for personal use in arb MUST have a 3 way auto locking action, screw gates & other 2 action karabiners can be used for designated tool or rigging. It is part of LOLER regs

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Arbtalk mobile app

The 3 way locking Kareabener issue cam about following some resurch by the HSE.

Now i just whentto dig it out and cant find it on their site, so cant give you the word forword, but it is not due to loler.

There were an umber of incidents involving undone clips, and change overs etc, there was also some high profile incidents that made it on to the telly, i think one was a noel edmunds show where a man was killed in front of his wife.

any way the long and the short of it, is the HSE in cosultation with variuse eliments ofthe Arb industry agreed that the safest way forward was to use auto closong clips, 3 way, at the time there were a lot of screw n 2 way beiners in use.

I will find the document and referance it but may need to be pages n pages of paper stuff.

As an interesting aside following a number of incidents one particually hi profile at a colleg, the hse revisited careeabener safty

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_pdf/2003/hsl03-18.pdf

the long and the short of it, 3 ways still offer the best collective safty in arb.

changeovers the real dodgy bit, training to cheak before changing system vital.

Sorry for the lack of referance, but you will find in the industry best practise, that while not law would be used to inform any prociutions or enforcment, referance tothe use of 3way auto locking clips .

As to the CE mark, all life support beiners weather for work or or sport, must carry the CE mark, the notifiying body who gave the mark, and the standard they are made to.

All the malions, Kareabeiners are made under the sae standard, but difefrant styles. its the industry BP in htis case that informes the exact stlye used.

Hope that helps

kev