LOLER certifiable splices

openboater

Before CE came to be, you and I would need to understand 1000s of standards from all the European countries- which French standards would Petzl manufacture to? CE ensures a common set of essential health and safety requirements that makes it easy to buy stuff anywhere in Europe and know what your getting. Calling it a trade agreement is a tad off the mark.

Within treework in the UK, before CE, nobody could have given a monkeys about standards & there was even less enforcement then than there is now. If you wanted kit you went to the store & bought what was there; if it wasn't there you made do with summut else :-)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we have a product directives, i.e. machinery directive, PPE directive etc & new products must satify the relevant directive?

We can then use an EN standard as guidance on satifying the above, or we can devise a test protocol outside of an EN so long as it satisfies the above directive.

Submit the product for testing at a notified body (under PPE or Machinery directive +unknown others) to ensure it satisfies said directive.

Notified body issues a Declaration of Conformity that product satisfies appropriate directive.

Product is ce marked showing that it conforms & can now be sold across Europe.

Is that kind of how it goes?

But it has little to do with our accepted test methods & the products relative application, we are jumping through in the belief that they are relevant & in many cases I don't believe they are.

Or are we discussing completely different things?

Regards

Nod

Thats pretty much the CE process, but its not always a requirement for a third party notified body to inspect.

All I'm saying is that CE and LOLER are in place for good reason and are far from being onerous heeps of crap.

As you said earlier, before CE marking no one gave a monkeys about standards and bought whatever the shop was selling. At least now with CE marking you can be fairly sure that what you buy is safe and if you have LOLER inspections, that it remains so.

• 2 months later...

By the way, a hand splice doesn't require CE certification if it is a re-splice, eg, if you buy a rope with no splice termination then get it spliced by an independent rope splicer it's all perfectly legal, some people may argue this point but they are incorrect.

By the way, a hand splice doesn't require CE certification if it is a re-splice, eg, if you buy a rope with no splice termination then get it spliced by an independent rope splicer it's all perfectly legal, some people may argue this point but they are incorrect.

Ok, I will bite......Why

At least now with CE marking you can be fairly sure that what you buy is safe

If I understand it correctly, CE is a self certification by a manufacturer that their product conforms to a recognised standard. Trouble being, it's self certified - I think there were 1000's of women affected by CE labeled PIP breast implants who might have a different view on the validity of CE marking.

CE = self certified (open to abuse by unscrupulous manufacturers)

BSI kite mark = tested and certified by an independent laboratory

I'd agree in general though, one would hope that a reputable manufacturer would abide by the CE standards.

Can you explain further Carl?

I am confused... In you e.g above, if it doesn't have a splice termination then it isn't a re splice.

Because splicing a used rope or a rope that has already been purchased by a private individual is a service and not manufacturing and requires no CE certification

So what if it was purchased or owned by a company as opposed to a private individual would that make a difference?

Clearly it makes no difference in law but its got me wondering, if you made a fundamental mistake about that, what else did you get wrong?

Any chance of a citation to back your position?