Long ascents

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to derailq too much but on along the same lines has anyone else made a stiff leg tether like the one timberwolf 190 made? I had a go at making one with a croll but was too bulky, really like the idea of having something you could wear on the other leg that you wouldn't notice whilst moving round like the way you hardly notice the pantin:)

toothed ascenders are tested to be 4kn strong and 4kn without damaging the rope and you cant bail out, RW RR, uni HH are all options that are loads stronger, wont damage the rope so readily and you can bail out. some "purpose designed" access lines, particularly the double braided ones are actually among the worst performing when it comes to drop testing toothed ascenders on them

this vid involves big drops but not unrealistically so :

so 16s was one of the best! surprised? i was

anyways, personally frog walker on a RR, RW or uni, loving the RR though!

so thats a pantin followed by one of the above with an elastic neck loop (which i actually route like braces over both shoulders secured to the top of the back of my tree motion) followed by an ascender with a footloop being used solely as an aid

Edited by explorer arb
cliked send by mistake

The only problem with a hand ascender and footloop, in conjunction with a rope wrench setup is that the rw setup doesnt self tend, so when you step up on the footloop you have to kick a little extra loop of slack through with the pantin..

toothed ascenders are tested to be 4kn strong and 4kn without damaging the rope and you cant bail out, RW RR, uni HH are all options that are loads stronger, wont damage the rope so readily and you can bail out. some "purpose designed" access lines, particularly the double braided ones are actually among the worst performing when it comes to drop testing toothed ascenders on them

this vid involves big drops but not unrealistically so :

so 16s was one of the best! surprised? i was

anyways, personally frog walker on a RR, RW or uni, loving the RR though!

so thats a pantin followed by one of the above with an elastic neck loop (which i actually route like braces over both shoulders secured to the top of the back of my tree motion) followed by an ascender with a footloop being used solely as an aid

Why was 16s one of the best? What were the forces involved were they reduced by having the ascendor slip? If tied into a high anchor instead of a stout lower limb would that of failed first? What about different toothed ascendor designs like Kong Futura or Black diamond nForce how would these react in similar scenario? It looked to me that forces above 4kn we're being achieved yet the ascendor did not fail why was that?

How would other devices like the HH RW RR or Uni respond in this test, would there lack of slip/cut/shred translate to more force on the climber?

Edited by Marc

its 4kn without breaking or breaking the rope, they did break the rope. The uni has been put to similar drop tests before, the results were much more encouraging. The wrench has also been extensively drop tested and preforms much better. We would aim for a low peak load of course but whilst slippage may reduce the PL it also increases the chance of us striking a limb on the way down. The FA BSEN limits PL to 6kn and slippage to 1m. They are not designed to take dynamic loads. If your anchor is 100% bommer then cool, but how can we be so sure? do binoculars show us all we need to see?

a few years ago people would use hitches above their ascender as a back up, now there are better alternatives why not use them?

with all you questions mark maybe you should conduct some of your own tests? then share your results with us on AT?