Welcome new members

Steve Bullman

3 minutes ago, rarefish383 said:

I was just passing through looking for some info. Then I found out a good friend is a member here too. So, I started posting, and you blokes have given me such a welcome, I think I might just stay and chat some. There may be a learning curve, I tend to have a strange accent. I'm getting a bit older and quit climbing about 4 years ago when I had both knees replaced. But I still collect chainsaws and axes, and like to ramble. Thanks for the welcome, Joe.

9Lu9CFb.jpg

1T3cgTJ.jpg

Hey Joe. :)  Nice to see a fellow Mopar Man here. :D 

What is that stunning tree you're dropping? 

• Like 1

That was about 15 years ago. It's either a Sugar Maple or a Silver Maple, I forget, and I can't make out the leaves in the pic. We had a hurricane coming up the East Coast, it was hitting North Carolina hard. The home owners were old family friends and asked if I could get it down before the storm hit us, in Maryland . When I went to look at it, the lead I'm standing on was cracked, and just a gentle wind was opening the crack up a good 12". I was afraid to put my weight in the top to piece it out, with the house and power lines under me. I was lucky and got my crane guy out there. He charged me $814 for 4 hours. The operator had the whole tree on the ground, packed up, and gone in 4 hours. Then it took me two days cleaning it up. Oh, the storm turned and went off shore. The day I took it down was calm, no wind, and hot. It was the first day of the year it hit over 100 * F.

Edited by rarefish383
  • Like 6

I was about to go off topic, and felt this would be the appropriate place instead. 

I was about to tell of my Dad's family, his outdoorsmanship, where and how he was raised. People think of Washington DC as a big modern city. Actually, before WWII there was very little there, and most of it was swamp land. Dad was raised on a farm that was half in DC and half in Maryland. They were poor and lived off what the could raise , catch, and hunt. He made Rabbit Gumm's,  which were triggered box traps, much like a modern haveaheart trap. They caught rabbits, opossum, raccoon, and skunks. He learned how to call many animals in to traps. His grand father had an excavation company that cleared roads, they did tree work as an off shoot of the main business. His father started digging basements with a team of horses and a scoop. Tree work was just starting to become what we know of it today. He saw he could make more money and geared more toward trees. When Dad got out of WWII he started his own tree business, and when I got out of collage, I went to work for him, making me the fourth generation. His family came from France and settled in Canada, eventually moving south to Louisiana, then back North East to Maryland. They settled in Montgomery county in 1721. The stone Manor House they built is still lived in, but no longer by Bonifant's.

My Dad's father married Hellen Muzzy Bladen, from Bladensburg MD. A direct descendant of Thomas Bladen, Colonial Governor of Maryland, and a member of the British House of Commons. 

This is all grand family history, but, I was adopted, and my birth mother was Norwegian. So, on any given day I can claim to be related to Vikings, British Lords, or French Huguenots.

It's a small world, and if any of you ever come to the states, especially the DC area, let me know. There is always a cold beer and a spot next to my fire pit waiting for you. Just a side note, I only drink good beer, no Lite served here. 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, rarefish383 said:

I was about to go off topic, and felt this would be the appropriate place instead. 

I was about to tell of my Dad's family, his outdoorsmanship, where and how he was raised. People think of Washington DC as a big modern city. Actually, before WWII there was very little there, and most of it was swamp land. Dad was raised on a farm that was half in DC and half in Maryland. They were poor and lived off what the could raise , catch, and hunt. He made Rabbit Gumm's,  which were triggered box traps, much like a modern haveaheart trap. They caught rabbits, opossum, raccoon, and skunks. He learned how to call many animals in to traps. His grand father had an excavation company that cleared roads, they did tree work as an off shoot of the main business. His father started digging basements with a team of horses and a scoop. Tree work was just starting to become what we know of it today. He saw he could make more money and geared more toward trees. When Dad got out of WWII he started his own tree business, and when I got out of collage, I went to work for him, making me the fourth generation. His family came from France and settled in Canada, eventually moving south to Louisiana, then back North East to Maryland. They settled in Montgomery county in 1721. The stone Manor House they built is still lived in, but no longer by Bonifant's.

My Dad's father married Hellen Muzzy Bladen, from Bladensburg MD. A direct descendant of Thomas Bladen, Colonial Governor of Maryland, and a member of the British House of Commons. 

This is all grand family history, but, I was adopted, and my birth mother was Norwegian. So, on any given day I can claim to be related to Vikings, British Lords, or French Huguenots.

It's a small world, and if any of you ever come to the states, especially the DC area, let me know. There is always a cold beer and a spot next to my fire pit waiting for you. Just a side note, I only drink good beer, no Lite served here. 

Ever come across the rygaard guys as they are based in DC. King of the mountain winners 

I remembered the name Rygaard from the Ax Men series, they were based in Washington State. We are just outside Washington DC, District of Columbia, which is not a State and on the other Coast. Please don't think I'm being condescending, I don't know my world geography near as well as I should. We just have two Washington's. One is a beautiful State, the other is a quagmire of politics.  Unfortunately, I'm stuck by the quagmire.

I just did a search and the Rygaards are the ones out West in the beautiful State. I have friends out there I hope to see in person some day. 

• Like 1

On 24/03/2021 at 18:06, trigger_andy said:

Hey Joe. :)  Nice to see a fellow Mopar Man here. :D 

What is that stunning tree you're dropping? 

Welcome to the forum!

Its a silver maple Acer Saccharinum. They grow fast and shoot out like that. mediocre wood, not like good hard sugar maple (Acer Saccharum).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rarefish383 said:

Lite beer lol...I'm guessing that lite beer took off in the US because of marketing, otherwise I dont see how a dietary approach and low alcohol content can be appealing  to the many burly Americans that consume it

6 hours ago, Ontario Firewood Resource said:

Lite beer lol...I'm guessing that lite beer took off in the US because of marketing, otherwise I dont see how a dietary approach and low alcohol content can be appealing  to the many burly Americans that consume it

Well, yes it was some very good advertising. Some of the funniest adds going way back then. But, now it's all geared to week water flavored beer so one guy can drink a 30 pack over the weekend. I went into my one mates garage with a six of Guinness. Then his wife walked in, so I asked her if she would like a beer. My mate says, "She doesn't drink beer". She held one finger up at him and said, "I don't drink YOUR beer" She asked what I had and I held up the six pack, She then said, "Yes, I'll have one of your's . I'm very partial to IPA's, then Dunkle's, then a good lager. If I'm at a cook out and get offered a Lite beer, I might drink one, just to be polite. Some times I'm just rude, and say, no thanks, I don't drink horse piss.

Edited by rarefish383
  • Like 1