Welcome new members

Steve Bullman

12 hours ago, Andrew77 said:

Hi Everyone,

Hope you doing well,

My name is Andrew and I am newbie here.

I Andrew . Nice to meet you . Hope you enjoy the forum . There are some good guys on here and some useful information/help in all manner of subjects .

• Like 3

Just joined the site and in need of some advice regarding weeds. I have a fairly large garden and have been de-weeding constantly for a year now. I have used a hoe to level off as best as i can and would like to throw some bark mulch on top to suppress the weeds hopefully. The weeded area is about 15 meters by 6 meters. If i level off and hoe the weeds more and remove as many roots as possible. Will bark mulch help and the tip loads which are provided from tree surgeons do they have potential weed seeds present? How dense should the layer of mulch be? How many loads would I need to cover the whole area. I would prefer not to use plastic weed fabric. Im from the north west UK and will have a look later on this week to see how i can acquire some loads of bark mulch from this site :D

Hi Koysii.

In your position I'd cover that area in cardboard and bury it within the next couple of months in 6" of woodchip.  The ground would be out of action for the winter but the insulation should keep the roots trying to send shoots to the light, failing and exhausting themselves.

You need the Tip Site Directory on here to register for chip, logs etc.

I hope you win with the weeds!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nepia said:

Hi Koysii.

In your position I'd cover that area in cardboard and bury it within the next couple of months in 6" of woodchip.  The ground would be out of action for the winter but the insulation should keep the roots trying to send shoots to the light, failing and exhausting themselves.

You need the Tip Site Directory on here to register for chip, logs etc.

I hope you win with the weeds!

Thank you yes that's the plan! ?? Hopefully I can get some much soon and will spray some glyphosphate too ? wanted to flag that whole area but think mulch would be a better and easier option with a few flags for walking on and maybe a small pergola. So as you can see that's half the garden, want to mulch all of that upto the greenhouse. Just trying to work out how much id need and how to transport to back without leaving a mess at front. They don't give them in bags do they just tip onto your drive? 

IMG_20200921_173551.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother with the glyphosate if you cover the ground and bury the cardboard properly.

Yeah, I'm afraid tree guys don't bag their chip - it's an achievement getting it into the truck sometimes!

What's the problem with 'mess at the front'?  Chip's easy stuff to clear up.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, nepia said:

I wouldn't bother with the glyphosate if you cover the ground and bury the cardboard properly.

Yeah, I'm afraid tree guys don't bag their chip - it's an achievement getting it into the truck sometimes!

What's the problem with 'mess at the front'?  Chip's easy stuff to clear up.

Cheers going to get some cardboard soon ? mess at front as my one neighbour starts complaining if things don't look "nice".