Welcome new members

Steve Bullman

11 hours ago, E2todd said:

Hi there, I’m a homeowner with a old English Walnut about to be felled, due to proximity to our Essex cottage ... with easy road access into the rear patio from our large gravel front yard I was hoping it could be re-used (and not end up as firewood!).

442EE42B-DD03-4FB8-8322-3C5EC1A4965F.jpeg

I'm just guessing, but I'd say the lines that are marked up on the picture probably represent where you have an aspiration to instal patio doors / conservatory - maybe PD, maybe planning app?  

That's absolutely an assumption / question on my part.  

Assuming that to be the case, I'd doubt that the 'proximity' issue you mention is the actual reason for the removal since the tree appears to be in good order, well maintained, not particularly imposing and proximity has not been an issue for all of the trees former existence.

I'd stress that this is just an assumption on my part based upon what can be seen in the picture you posted.  If I'm off the mark, no offence intended.  If I'm not, you'll get best feedback when being straight up with people. 

Just seen the other post:

which gives more detail and specifies that planning consent has indeed been granted.  Bit surprised by that.  Any chance you could post the planning reference so we can have a look at the AIA?   

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 1

That's about the most disappointing example of an apparent lack of interest in TPO process from the Tree & Planning officers as I can recall having recently seen.

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

7 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

The problems started at validation. Maybe the Council doesn't have a tree officer and someone with no arboricultral knowledge, or knowledge of the process, is making the decisions.

Parish council are several months behind in publishing minutes so, whilst it was on the agenda, can't even see if it was effectively discussed there.  

Not withstanding the tree owner may be happy with the outcome, it's a very poor example of process. 

• Like 1

On 16/10/2019 at 22:24, E2todd said:

Hi there, I’m a homeowner with a old English Walnut about to be felled, due to proximity to our Essex cottage

No I really do love the tree and really just want to see it used for the beautiful wood it has grown to be. Truthfully, for almost 10 years now (photo was taken 3 years ago) its since grown and grown just too close for comfort and I'm regularly loosing roof slates, cracking windows and now in windy conditions it continually knocking the TV aerial and chimney pots off (see recent photo).

Also for obvious reasons I didn't want to mention the subsidence and drainage issues to the council, but I do have building surveyor and cctv evidence of the damage this wonderful tree has caused to my dwelling due to its proximity. Also the tree protection officer (after numerous visits) did finally offer us the option to replace, seeing as its less than 2m from our residential dwelling and a 30% reduction would involve a rather lopsided looking tree!

20191018_105001_resized.jpg

No I really do love the tree and really just want to see it used for the beautiful wood it has grown to be. Truthfully, for almost 10 years now (photo was taken 3 years ago) its since grown and grown just too close for comfort and I'm regularly loosing roof slates, cracking windows and now in windy conditions it continually knocking the TV aerial and chimney pots off (see recent photo).
Also for obvious reasons I didn't want to mention the subsidence and drainage issues to the council, but I do have building surveyor and cctv evidence of the damage this wonderful tree has caused to my dwelling due to its proximity. Also the tree protection officer (after numerous visits) did finally offer us the option to replace, seeing as its less than 2m from our residential dwelling and a 30% reduction would involve a rather lopsided looking tree!

20191018_105001_resized.thumb.jpg.944470c5b6f455e1a5609e75d27838ac.jpg

Keep the tree as furniture!
Get it milled by a local miller,
Send it to a decent wood worker who could stack and dry it, then make you some beautiful bespoke furniture, designed for your home needs.
Then replant a few more trees in more sensible places.
Everyone's a winner.
[emoji106]

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Tristan Audren said:

Hi there :)

I'm new to the forum. Stumbled upon it when looking for a job and really enjoyed reading through some of the posts there!

So thought I'd say hi!!

I'm originally a seafarer (a grease monkey), but started working in forestry in Brittany and really loved it!

Stuck in a dead end computer job at the moment but will get back out there ?!!!

Hi Tristan . Welcome bud .

• 1 month later...