Welcome new members

Steve Bullman

Hello all!

I have been trimming and removing trees for about 15 years now as a side gig but I just quit my main gig (Medical Machinery Manufacturing) to pursue being an arborist full time. Its never to late to pursue your passion right?:thumbup1:

I am very excited about the wealth of information available on this site and cant wait to learn all I can. My contact information is below if you need to get ahold of me. thanks!

Email [email protected]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I've been silently stalking the site for a while now and only just signed up. A lot of good recommendations on equipment and I like seeing different arbor practices. There seems to be only limited information for the business end of things. Maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places? Any suggestions? Also, I find it hard to continue in conversations. Is there a place where I get notified of new activity?

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone and thanks for the add mods.

Just to clear a couple of things up. firstly. I'm not a arborist. I'm a spray painter to trade (retired) and kinda stumbled into working with wood as a hobby. I'm new to it but it's always been a dream to have the time to work wood with my hands. Mainly Knives, chisels, circular saws and other sharp things rattling up dog kennels and other simple structures, but recently i got interested wood spirit carving and making pixie houses from forked branches...basically i'm crap at it, but like most things i'll get there. Not in any rush.

Now why am i here?

I needed to cut some wood plates..(cookies US, Blame youtube) to use as a base for the pixie houses i plan on making, and the best way, easiest way, was to get myself a chainsaw. For the past few months i've been education myself on most things chainsaw though it could be going in one ear and out the other. I've been watching videos, looking at reviews on the wide variety of saws out there. My head was pickled and after a while i kinda came to the conclusing i dont need anything expensive as i wont be using it on a daily basis. A few hours a month more or less.

Anyway. I only gone and bought myself a Oleo Mac 260 Auto...vintage as hell. (I like old tools) Still waiting on it arriving and trying it out, but first things first, i would like to pick you guys brains on do's and dont's. I'm kinda handy with mechanics so would really like to give this saw a good old service. (if i can find a maintenance manual)..

I didn't pay much..well £64, didn't seem too expensive to me for what looks like a fair condition 40 year old chainsaw. I was assured it works well and the engine has plenty power..we'll see.

Hey, maybe the guy who sold me it is a member here.. :laugh1:

I now know that finding parts for these can be tricky, but not impossible.

Anyway, the Safety side of things is more important to me. Never used a chainsaw in my life and kinda a bit apprehensive. Maybe i shouldn't have watched all those Chainsaw fail videos on youtube.. :001_unsure:

That's enough waffle from me for now. Look forward to picking you guys brains from time to time as i have so much to learn. I'll post a video or pics up of the machine when it gets here..

Cheers...Stevie. :thumbup1:

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. I am new to the industry. I am looking to start training in October (CS30/31) followed by CS38/39. In the mean time, I am finding my feet. I left the armed forces a couple of years ago and we (wife and kids) are moving out to Canada in four years. I am looking to learn and work as much as I can before moving. Any hints, tips or heads up would be appreciated. 

Is it advisable/legal to reach out to local companies, while in between courses and offer free labour (work experience)?

Many thanks

Chris.

Edited by Chris Holland

• 4 months later...

Hi Chris,

Welcome.

From your profile photo you look like a handy fella.  Don't offer your services for free (beyond a couple of days) as any ground labour is appreciated and the company should benefit from it.

Love the idea of heading to Canada - if I had time on my side I would be doing the same.

Getting climbing experience is going to be your challenge, and previous rock climbing exploits are not really going to help you.

I think there are 3 important elements to tree climbing.

1) Climbing the tree effectively with ropes and harness with whatever paraphernalia  (spikes, strops, footlock, friction savers, redirects SRT etc) you favour.

2) How the tree is going to behave.  Are you felling, dismantling, branch roping, cut and drop, cut and hold, snatching/chogging? How can you minimise ground damage?  Make life easier for groundies?  Keep you as a climber safe.  This is a big topic as even same species will behave differently depending on their health/condition.

3) Using a saw at height. This photo is me at the end of 2 very knackering (and wet) days dismantling a split and extremely decayed Labanon Cedar.  There was no crane or mewp access.  This job went well as there was a very experienced crew on site and we all had input into the process.

Find a good crew to work with and accept that your first year may well be on the ground, working and observing.

Good luck.

odiham2 013.JPG

Good evening All,

My name is Mark and alongside my brother (John) I make up one half of our currently establishing and part-time forestry/timber business. If I had to pick a term I'd put us in the 'micro-forestry' bracket but we are qualified and equipped to tackle anything that doesn't involve climbing the tree and we take on all kinds of jobs. (Climbing- we stick to rocks and as a hobby :) )

We have been slightly involved on the peripheries of the industry for years but we are new to going genuinely professional. We both do most things but brother is the better machine operator and I am the better cutter - we make a decent team. Currently and in my case for a good long time yet we both have other jobs too; I also enjoy spending half of my year being a marine engineer on gas carriers and oil tankers (writing to you from near Saint Helena just now), I do tree stuff in the other half of the year.

Pleased to meet you all,

Mark

• Like 1