Welcome new members

Steve Bullman

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there !

I'm completely new here and want to say hello :)

I left my life as a corporate rat and decided to combine both my love to rock climbing and trees and become an arborist. I did chainsaw operator and logger license, did tree worker course (arborist course) and started working on trees. I'm here mainly because I want to learn something new and meet new friends.

Cheers from Poland !

Piotr

ps sorry for my poor English

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Found this site when googling for chainsaw reviews, need a saw to process into firewood the trees in my new garden which are being felled by professionals. Was initially looking at a small electric chainsaw but quickly realised that I'd be better off with something a bit more substantial.

After much reading I descided to get a Husky 135 14" from a local company plus some trousers and a helmet with visor and ear defenders. Very happy with the deal, would have been cheaper buying online but probably not by much and the trousers came up very small (Stihl Economy Plus) so would have ended up ordering the wrong ones.

Very grateful for all the advice, just need a saw horse and a sledge hammer to drive my wood grenades and I'll be set.

Will probably be back with loads of questions once I start the work.

Evening everyone I've joins as I'm looking for a new chainsaw.

My aldi special has done nearly 2yrs & just under 20 ton of log cutting but finally died today oil pump & worn drive teeth, I'm looking at the stihl 171/181 or the husqvarna 135 even though my local machinery shop recommend the mitox.

Rob

Welcome. Either of the Stihl or Husky would be a good choice. Never used a mitox but as I understand it they are the better of the cheaper brands of saws. Unless you are on a budget I would definetly stick with Stihl or Husky though.

As a Yorkshireman I'm always on a budget but I'm happy to go to £250 but I've found the husqvarna for £185 from forest&arb which I'm leaning towards

Evening everyone I've joins as I'm looking for a new chainsaw.

My aldi special has done nearly 2yrs & just under 20 ton of log cutting but finally died today �� oil pump & worn drive teeth, I'm looking at the stihl 171/181 or the husqvarna 135 even though my local machinery shop recommend the mitox.

Rob

Ive used both stihls-171/181,and didnt like either.Have you concidered an echo chainsaw.There are some threads on these pages raving about there pulling power and longevity.If at all possible concider an older stihl,ive had a ms180 for donkeys years and its saved the day many a time when my "newer/better"saws have chucked it.worth thinkin about imo

Ive used both stihls-171/181,and didnt like either.Have you concidered an echo chainsaw.There are some threads on these pages raving about there pulling power and longevity.If at all possible concider an older stihl,ive had a ms180 for donkeys years and its saved the day many a time when my "newer/better"saws have chucked it.worth thinkin about imo

I was looking at older ones but a few guys round here said unless it's been serviced I need to allow another £80-£100 for service/check over

Fair comment but the older stihls are really easy to service and fix up if needs be,a service kit for a ms180 is about £40. Now im not really that mechanically minded but ive managed to pick up enough info of youtube and advice of others likeminded to service an older saw,they really are straight forward.Also the more you learn on an older saw you can apply to a future purchase when your ready for an upgrade.

Fair comment but the older stihls are really easy to service and fix up if needs be,a service kit for a ms180 is about £40. Now im not really that mechanically minded but ive managed to pick up enough info of youtube and advice of others likeminded to service an older saw,they really are straight forward.Also the more you learn on an older saw you can apply to a future purchase when your ready for an upgrade.

Tbh I think I could be very tempted with second hand but the Mrs likes the new with guarantee & not abused buy others 👍

I've been reading more on here & was wondering is the husky 435 worth the extra over the 135? £280 instead of £185 yet doesn't seem much different on specks