Domestic biomass rhi

forestgough

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We installed biomass Nov 2011. I am satisfied with the system and set up for small scale pellet manufacture. We were replacing the old oil boiler anyway so it made sense (to me) to go greener / self sufficient. There was the (empty) promise from DECC back then for RHI. It wasn't fundamental to the business case, just the cherry on top.

I've watched with ever growing distrust and frustration the ineffective, prevarication from DECC. I understand (but don't sympathise at all) after the the solar PV cock-up (government set tariffs so high companies were able to instal for free just to get FIT). Finally, we will apply for domestic RHI (significantly watered down and shortened time frame from that which was originally proposed) 9 Jul as a legacy installation. I'd got very close to running a second feed from the boiler to a barn and qualifying under the commercial RHI (which incidentally was opened on time and as promised Jan 12)

Sorry, rant over (I'm not sure all the dates/details are accurate as it's Sunday, I've just woken up & feeling slightly jaded after a rare pub night last night)

I wouldn't give tuppence for DECC, or trust em, or rely on em.

If you can find a boiler you like and works for you, go for it. If the margins are so tight you have to rely on the RHI to make it stack up, it might be too tight. And don't trust the bloody sales staff for biomass installers. All the info is available to you. I didn't find one that fully understood the system, they just try and dazzle with "wonderful investment" figures.

Put my pellet boiler in in 2007 so no RHI bt I did get a small grant of about 10% of the cost. Fuel use far exceeds that predicted by the manufacturer, it also only runs for 9 hours on a full load. SO fill at 6am, by 3pm its empty and needs filling again. Should have gone for a stand alone boiler house with integral bulk fuel store. However I am advised that bulk blown pellets are more expensive that the 20kg bags I currently use.

A

Fuel use far exceeds that predicted by the manufacturer, it also only runs for 9 hours on a full load.

Agreed!

Don't trust the salesman, he'll overstate the benefits & understate the negatives just to secure the sale. (Sorry if that sounds pessimistic, it's not normal for me to be so negative but experience is a hard learnt lesson)

However I am advised that bulk blown pellets are more expensive that the 20kg bags I currently use.

A

Agreed! Mole Valley Farmers is best haven't bought for a while.