Trailer hiab project, advice please

muttley9050

Depending on how much you want to spend I would consider a new block with relief built in, or find a s/h one

I get a bit lost looking at these pumps and things on flowfit online and trying to figure which one I need and how to couple to an engine. I'm thinking for me the best investment maybe a s/h Honda engine power pack, allowing me to run breakers and log splitters etc off the same unit. Is there a reason you can think of that this is a bad idea? Would they have relief built in?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did consider that John. The crane cones in at about 275kg. So I assumed that I'd get away with it if I don't put weight too close to the nose of the trailer when loading. I've seen similar setups before and not being an expert I thought it would be ok.

That's more than double the rangers nose weight

Towed by a ranger so no pto. Looking like a power pack is favourite.

Any advice on whether I should attempt to reseal the control unit myself or send it off to a man who can? Slightly concerned that if I open it up bits will come flying out?

They are pretty easy to strip, any springs will be in the detent (the bit on the opposite side to the handle) but they are pretty harmless. Seals will be standard rubber "O" rings.

you need to consider whip in the crane when you stop and start lifting which then transmits to the chassis, especially when the boom is out, higher flow rate will create more whip, I am not sure what flow rate a power pack has but you may need to restrict the flow to help prevent it.

Tbh I know a lot of people put them on the drawbar but it's a really bad idea imo, far too much nose weight, I have to unfold mine out to the back when empty, and mine isn't even on the drawbar.

Edited by scraggs

I can't find anything that states what the nose weight on a ranger should be. Surely the nose weight changes depending how you load the rest of the trailer?

If I were to mount it over the axles I wouldn't have any load space. Surely if it's in front of the axles the bulk of the weight will be on the nose?

Edited by muttley9050