Trailer hiab project, advice please

muttley9050

That pump tank unit just isn't suitable for your job, its for intermittent use applications such as tail lifts or small tippers.

If you use it in anger it will die in short order

Thanks for advice, its what I feared people would say. So I guess you think it not worth spending more money on this system, how would you look at setting it up if it were your project?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've started work on mounting a hiab to a trailer. I've successfully mounted the crane and put it to test.

Running off the 12v pump in picture. Jump leads to battery.

The pump was very hot on the end of shaft in not long. The jump leads started melting in not long. Should the pump get that hot or is there a problem? Is it realistic to run this off 12v or should I buy a power pack with engine to run it off? What's a better set up? I'm new to hydraulics really so it's a learning curve. Also there a leak from the lever control unit. Is it advisable to take this apart myself and try to fit new seals/gaskets or should I get it overhauled professionally?

Opinions please.

Thanks

James

HI JAMES nice pics BUT are you going to over load the ball hitch OR trailer hitch as in to much weight on tow ball and trailer hitch thanks jon :thumbup:

Thanks for advice, its what I feared people would say. So I guess you think it not worth spending more money on this system, how would you look at setting it up if it were your project?

You can either run it off its own engine and pump or if your towing vehicle will run a PTO you can pipe that to the back and use quick release fittings

I would advise caution on the nose weight, it will probably tow like a turd until you get some weight on the back.

HI JAMES nice pics BUT are you going to over load the ball hitch OR trailer hitch as in to much weight on tow ball and trailer hitch thanks jon :thumbup:

I did consider that John. The crane cones in at about 275kg. So I assumed that I'd get away with it if I don't put weight too close to the nose of the trailer when loading. I've seen similar setups before and not being an expert I thought it would be ok.

I did consider that John. The crane cones in at about 275kg. So I assumed that I'd get away with it if I don't put weight too close to the nose of the trailer when loading. I've seen similar setups before and not being an expert I thought it would be ok.

HI JAMES ok mate you no what your doing mate thanks jon :thumbup:

You can either run it off its own engine and pump or if your towing vehicle will run a PTO you can pipe that to the back and use quick release fittings

I would advise caution on the nose weight, it will probably tow like a turd until you get some weight on the back.

Towed by a ranger so no pto. Looking like a power pack is favourite.

Any advice on whether I should attempt to reseal the control unit myself or send it off to a man who can? Slightly concerned that if I open it up bits will come flying out?

Towed by a ranger so no pto. Looking like a power pack is favourite.

Any advice on whether I should attempt to reseal the control unit myself or send it off to a man who can? Slightly concerned that if I open it up bits will come flying out?

Depending on how much you want to spend I would consider a new block with relief built in, or find a s/h one