Trailer hiab project, advice please

muttley9050

I can see the advantages you say now, but think the expense for me for the amount of use it will get would be too much.

I also like the way your loading up. Not quite what I had imagined from your initial posts. I assume you just wrap the rope around the log enough times so it unravels as you pull it up? What technique do you use to fix the end of the rope?

Up until the last few years I've been very much in construction so the techniques and knots/hitches involved in moving timber is pretty new to me. I also don't have a need to move as much timber as guys in your trade as everything I move is purchased for a job rather than a arising.

Thanks for helping me here.

James

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Arbtalk mobile app

The above trailer cost me.....not very much as my dad gave it to me.:thumbup1: This was after I asked him to buy one for me like this one. (My family live in the Netherlands where these are a lot more common).

He bought it for €1500 which by the time you add the ferry etc is £1500.

5m x 2.15 bed, ally sides, 3500kgs mam, 790kgs empty, 3x 1800kg axles.

The loading is real easy: The strap attaches to the trailer on the side away from the log, goes over the trailer bed, under the log, over the top of the log and then back over the trailer to the tractor/Landy/winch/team of Oxen/slaves etc.

It means that there is force on the trailer opposite to the force on the log which means the trailer will not move however big the log is you're pulling up against it.

The pulling force required is much less than that required to lift the log but varies with the angle of ramps, diameter of the log (bigger is relatively easier) and height of the pulling attachment (higher is easier, up to the level of the trailer bed plus the dia of the log)

Turntable trailers are perfectly legal. Bateson are talking "not that much sense"? In Germany, land of the Euro-conformists and rule-obeying orderlies they're for sale and popular, same in Belgium and the Netherlands. (not sure on other EU countries as I don't get out much.)

You cannot currently build any trailer over 750kgs yourself without having it officially inspected or some such bull (since last year sometime) , and it will only pass if you use parts that have been specifically approved for a trailer exactly as you're building, down to lights, reflectors etc. Apparently "universal" trailer parts are a big no, whether they're rated adequately or not:confused1:

I believe these rules apply for modifications as well, which means that putting different lights on a newly bought trailer for example is only allowed if they have been approved for use on that trailer...

Maybe the UK market is too small due to an uninformed customer base?

Just to be sure I made sure mine was built before all this came to play (think the first step into the abyss was 2008?)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that description, I get it now.

On my e test my Instructor told me as of next year all trailers will need a certificated service. What fun.

I've not heard or read that anywhere:confused1: I reckon your instructor might have got the wrong end of the stick? (though I've not a clue what stick..)

I am totally amazed that's all that trailer weighs, is it alloy ?

It's galvanised steel, but not just two strong beams but a space-frame type affair, as it's on 14" wheels etc, there is quite some depth to the chassis.:001_smile:

Could an ifor be changed to be like that or is that crazy? How do overrun brakes work if the axle moves?

Thinking about it, I stand corrected Its the trailer bed that moves not the axel so you are actually moving the load forward or back

As for changing an ifor I'd have no idea, the fast tow has a single beam instead of a A-frame , best bit of kit I've bought

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1399059788.902621.jpg.e1b7d467e6cbce6f07c40108600db756.jpg

Slightly better view ImageUploadedByArbtalk1399059901.842647.jpg.bc775c5aef6b17b01528791c7b8b6116.jpg

Thinking about it, I stand corrected Its the trailer bed that moves not the axel so you are actually moving the load forward or back

As for changing an ifor I'd have no idea, the fast tow has a single beam instead of a A-frame , best bit of kit I've bought

]

Thanks

Lovely bit of kit :)

I'm dreaming at the moment... But do you know what the nose weight is empty? Unladen weight? And what is the max crane lift?

Thanks

Lovely bit of kit :)

I'm dreaming at the moment... But do you know what the nose weight is empty? Unladen weight? And what is the max crane lift?

The jockey wheel has a scale , adjust it to it reads about 100-120 kg

It ways about 1100kgs without body ( timber bolsters in

Crane lifts 360kgs with grab on but about 440 kgs without

I've had some canny big logs on whereImageUploadedByArbtalk1399061340.151596.jpg.9fd344e822293593f27a52147fb19481.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1399061313.087673.jpg.72ae20626712711d32bed4658eafb423.jpg