Cleaning timber decking

Ashes_Firewood

Thanks for the replies, some useful information.

citric acid had some for killing moss on pavements just sprinkled on brushed it over and left for a few hours washed it off came up nice and clean.

Where do you get citric acid from and what kind of quantities do you use?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would that be hyper chloride (think the spelling is ok?) I use it for the hot tub & various timber products & algae on house / roof. Needs a careful application, gloves / goggles, it's like a super strength bleach so not fantastically environmentally friendly.

That's the stuff

• 3 weeks later...

I actually decided to test cleaning a small area using the patio cleaner attachment for my pressure washer. Turned the pressure right down and went for it, worked fine. Eventually ended up with the pressure turned up to full and it's cleaned it right up and it hasn't damaged the wood either. I'm sure it would of damaged it had I used the lance and held it really close to the surface.

It could really do with some treatment/staining now ideally. The problem is that it's a balcony type structure at first floor level so there would be all the hand rails to stain as well so it turns it in to quite an awkward job! It's a reasonable area to do as well. Not mentioned about staining it to the customer yet.

Typically I forgot to take before and after photos too!

• 1 month later...

Ok so now they've decided they want the whole thing staining seen as all the colours faded out of it. Just got to get some scaffold set up so I can clean the green off the outside.

Think I'm going to oil it. Any better suggestions or general hints and tips?

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1403685784.855589.jpg.fe068e3f3ac1b9be61b50d3927c457b9.jpg

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1403685708.235446.jpg.ce45675946bfb96c2ee954480a5a6ef9.jpg

if people realised that decking is mostly done wrong side (grooved) up, and did it flat side up, they would have far fewer problems. no debris, moisture, moss, algae collecting in the grooves, twice as much timber to make contact with - less chance of slipping, and looks just as good.