New climber.

Scotty De C

Why would anyone body thrust on a straight up when you can buy a Pantin for a few quid?

That's not a dig mate, it's a tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Can of worms Mark 😀

Where do you start? There's the advantages of Srt vs ddrt and the whole thrusting, lack of thrusting argument and there's all the gear you can buy that involves less friction etc blah blah ad nauseum.

At the end of the day I think it all boils down to experience to know what gear and styles of climbing there are along with work fitness which is different to gym fitness.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Why would anyone body thrust on a straight up when you can buy a Pantin for a few quid?

That's not a dig mate, it's a tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Not taken as a dig at all:thumbup1:. We initially set it up to practice body thrusting 101:lol: but it's now mainly used to practice and perfect other systems and iron out the kinks.

It does focus the users technique and makes them concentrate on the movements involved. Once it's mastered they can play with the zigzag, pantins, hitchclimbers etc

When Adam gets his finger out:biggrin: I can start playing with the wrench on it too.:thumbup:

Can of worms Mark 😀

Where do you start? There's the advantages of Srt vs ddrt and the whole thrusting, lack of thrusting argument and there's all the gear you can buy that involves less friction etc blah blah ad nauseum.

At the end of the day I think it all boils down to experience to know what gear and styles of climbing there are along with work fitness which is different to gym fitness.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

My argument exactly. Learn the basics and then take every opportunity to try every system/method/mechanical aid available to find out what suits. They're all tools in the box.

I did a days climbing with a prussic a while back and honestly hated every minute of it (normally use a HC and just got a ZZ). It was unnecessary hard work. As soon as Bournes legacy arrives, I'll attempt to master SRT, simply to add to the box.

IF you are new to climbing and still a bit nervous/unsure, you use a whole lot more energy because your movements are stiff and rigid. Once you get more comfortable and loosen up, it gets way easier. Practice makes perfect! Best of luck :)

I'm 50 and new to climbing, just passed my cs38. Most of it is in the technique but definitely do some chin ups, press ups etc and keep hydrated with lots of fresh water, I also use 'iso-energy' drink and 'amino acid' tablets for musle repair. Eat a good balanced diet and you will notice the difference. Your fitness will come as you climb more but dont expect too much of yourself to begin with. You will be fine.