New climber.

Scotty De C

Hi guys, I'm 31 and after 16 years sitting on my arse behind a desk im about to undertake a career change into this line of work. General fitness is good although finding climbing hard work climbed twice with a qualified guy and I was blowing out my arse, slow and clumsy!! (a true sight to see) any tips on exercises to do and will grace be learnt? I have my climbing course booked for July so a few months available to practice, increase strength and stamina etc.

cheers guys

Scotty

A bit of cardo and carry on climbing bud. Once uve got the tech in using the prussic /climbing hitch /system itll get easier. Climbing takes on a different set of muscles and endurance. Stick with it and all the best.

O core exercises aswell

Yeah partly, the tree was an old pine that had been untouched for around 50 years so the ropes were snagging allot (excuses I know) but being new to it all I found the prussic system and technique a little tricky to be fair.

Best way to improve really is to practice the technique. If you're doing it right it doesn't require super strength or stamina. We have a pulley on a beam for training (messing about) so having to ascend with nothing to brace yourself against really focuses on the body thrusting technique.

If you've done little real exercise for a number of years, climbing is really going to take it's toll. Go and join a good gym and ask for a program. It'll include antagonistic muscle toning as well as the core muscles you need for climbing. You'll also need to focus on stretching and rest. 16 years of desk to commercial arboriculture is a big step. Do it in stages and you'll find the transition along with the aches and pains a lot easier to cope with. Consider a regular, i.e. monthly, sports massage too.

Edited by Paul Jenks
spelling

Best way to improve really is to practice the technique. If you're doing it right it doesn't require super strength or stamina. We have a pulley on a beam for training (messing about) so having to ascend with nothing to brace yourself against really focuses on the body thrusting technique.

Why would anyone body thrust on a straight up when you can buy a Pantin for a few quid?

That's not a dig mate, it's a tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk