someone told me a much quicker way to rig but is it safe?

samiad

But using a crab in the end of the rope is not using it correctly.

They did right to go nuts with you.

Tbh I can tie a half hitch timber hitch quicker than messing with slings and crabs and find it quicker and simpler for groundies.

Also saves problems when close to top pulley and sling been too long

Practice practice practice is the way forward rather than shortcut shortcut oops

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But using a crab in the end of the rope is not using it correctly.

They did right to go nuts with you.

Tbh I can tie a half hitch timber hitch quicker than messing with slings and crabs and find it quicker and simpler for groundies.

Also saves problems when close to top pulley and sling been too long

Practice practice practice is the way forward rather than shortcut shortcut oops

where do you normally clip your crabs ?there are a lot of very experienced and good riggers that use krabs on the end of rigging lines. I think what was said before about knowing limitations of gear was very well put , would i recommend them to a beginner to learn on .... no ,i would say learn your basics and then move on to more productive methods, whatever they may be.

Im Stil not a fan of negative rigging with krabs and have done only a handful of times on small stuff.

• 7 months later...

Negative rigging? That's a curious term. I started on hitches and have moved to slings and Krabs. I still use knots especially on smaller jobs eg if I've only got a few limbs to lower but I can't believe that you boys are getting the job done quicker with timber hitches and cloves quicker than slings because you have to wait for the rope to come back before you can tie the knot as oppose to simply clipping onto a pre-set sling. Its also way quicker for ground staff to disconnect. I agree though - you must know the basics and limits of whichever system you use.