Steel verses Aluminium backs

kentjames

OK, so yes its another thread on tipper trucks, I apologise in advance if it overlaps!

My business has grown massively, and we can no longer do without a chip truck to go with the Arborist 130. I have been seeking out as many options as possible but cannot go for new all out built from scratch as the figures don't add up per month. So its second hand market.

My first question is regarding the backs of the truck.

How much difference weight wise does a steel sides and back make over aluminium?

I know every little helps when determining the 3500 kg MAM but is there much difference between the two?

I am looking primarily at the transit, have looked at a few Iveco daily's but so far they have all been rust buckets on the rear chassis.

Any advice would be great, I need to commit to a truck soon due to work coming up but I am always so worried about making the wrong decision!

Cheers

James :thumbup:

Aluminum is approximately 40% less in weight than steel for the same sort of strength . This is a rough guide . Also if you ever have to get in the back with a saw aluminum will have a lesser damaging affect if you catch the sides .......

I don't want to derail the thread but I have been casually looking into composite panels as they are lighter & super strong. I would imagine they are not cheap. I found a website called service metals & you can find out the weight & applications for the different panels. Might be worth a look.

Thanks all for your replies.

Aluminium it is then - seems to be less of these around but guess that is down to them being more desirable and being snapped up quicker!

Next question...

I have always preferred my second hand vehicles to be around 50 - 65k miles when I buy them, I figure this is a good age and mileage.

Many tippers I have been looking at have mileage over this and towards the 90 - 120k mark. I know you get what you pay for and less miles is more money but should I be worried about buying a truck with higher mileage?

I'm in the process of buying a second hand transit at the moment, and I know exactly what you mean. Really depends on your budget, I've bought the newest lowest mileage one I could afford if that makes sense. For me it's important to be able to go into the lez around London so that was a consideration as well.

Mine is ex bt and used to be a Luton which is having tipping gear put on as we speak, I will defo go for aluminium chip box as it's light and strong. My old transit has a steel box section and ply chip box which is strong but quite heavy, truck empty weighs 2600kg.

Try not to get one that's been used as a tree wagon as more than likely it will have had a hard life and if it's done close to the mileage your are talking about then it's not going to last long before your having spend on it.

Good luck with you hunt. :thumbup1:

It's a difficult one trying to find a van that hasn't been overly abused as it's the nature of a working vehicle such as tippers and 4x4s. When I was looking at trucks some with lower miles were very badly maintained. I went for one that had 80,000 but was in kept in good order in the end. I would have prefered lower mileage but it's not always about the miles. Do what your doing and look at the body and service history etc

I looked at a few trucks and went for an iveco, it's been a good truck for me it was the best one I could find at the time with my budget which is what it probably comes down to (Iveco or ortherwise)

The steel bodies are really heavy, however, most of the Alloy bodies, still have a steel floor for strength and durability.

I have one of each - a 54 plate with steel body wood/composite chip box and a 10 plate One stop alloy body. You are welcome to pop over and have a look at both for comparison purposes. I,m in West Malling

Chris

Try not to get one that's been used as a tree wagon as more than likely it will have had a hard life and if it's done close to the mileage your are talking about then it's not going to last long before your having spend on it.

I think anything thats been a tipper for its entire life is likely to have had a hard time.

Thinking of a crewcab or single cab James?

For reference my Transit crewcab with alloy tipper bed and ply sides, with all gear loaded weighs in at 2450KG.

Personally crewcab wins for me for the storage options available, yes the buck will be smaller but you can still only half fill it before being overweight.

Theres no perfect solution with the weight limits we have, best of luck with your search!