Steel verses Aluminium backs

kentjames

Mines ally, the framework is a newer design, it's chunkyer, but thinner metal. Makes it stronger and lighter. Thats how i get away with a covered roof. With the older style framework it would have been too heavy.

Speak to Matt at Tipmasters

10154131_10151957083561268_1264203_n.jpg.6bedd188e764d6c645ad96149ef5db0e.jpg

Firstly, weigh some chip and get an idea of the volumes you're going to be able to legally transport. The one in the picture above is going to be properly over loaded if full and will probably wallow a lot too.

Aluminium doesn't need to be a strong as steel and therefore you can make extra savings on weight. You just get dents more easily and the body won't last as long.

Arb trucks or any truck that has a towbar already on it will probably have had the guts pulled out of them, especially if over 30-40k miles. I know ours have. That's what they're for. It's why we can write down the cost of the vehicle over 4 years. In business it's considered to be worthless after that time. It still has residual value and the better it's looked after the more this'll be, so when you chop it in you get the deposit for your new one.

The Isuzu and Mitsubishi 3.5t trucks are the lightest and are pretty robust. A log guy round here has a payload of 2t on the back of his with a good sized aluminium tipper. Bloody bouncy to drive though.

The Isuzu and Mitsubishi 3.5t trucks are the lightest and are pretty robust. A log guy round here has a payload of 2t on the back of his with a good sized aluminium tipper. Bloody bouncy to drive though.

Only when empty, ride is much better:001_smile: when loaded..

This is ours metal frame work with alloy sheets bolted to it with ply on inside for strength and to prevet damage to alloy sheets, chip box is sitting ontop of original sides and bolted on can be removed in 10mins if needed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

1396783515690.jpg.7c46c0a1d3b37bfc253e6ba9c0a6829a.jpg

• 3 years later...

Sorry to drag up an old issue but my newly acquired tipper has a steel box section frame with 8x4 ply sheets fitted to the original steel dropsides. The dropsides have seen better days to be honest and the greedy boards looks rather home made. It works but i'd like something a bit more professional looking so will be changing it. Rather than start messing with the ram mounts and hinges, i'd like to keep the original floor base as it will save time and being original, I know it is strong enough. But add fresher looking aluminium dropsides and removable greedy boards which one man can do easily. I'll be looking out for an existing body for the sides, and a local firm sell 8x4x3mm aluminium sheets for £80+vat as well as extruded aluminium box section for the frames. Would anyone who has a professionally made alloy tipper body be able to tell me what grades of materials were used, or even anyone who built their own which is still going strong? Really need a closer look at one but there aren't any around here.