Day rate for good Climber?

edbol

i hear ya. companies(not all but some) often see us ( contract climber) as expensive as they just look at hourly rate. they forget that we pay for training, courses, gear, holiday, sick pay etc.

last year was one of my lowest earning years ever but i travelled a lot and had a great time- i couldnt of done that as an employee. huge pros and cone to both. for me contracting is a lifestyle choice.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't wish to derail another thread on how much a freelance climber gets.... £90 -£150 seem normal.

But I think if you look at your figures you might not be WAY better off being freelance. There are obviously other advantages just thought it interesting to compare.

On the books:

£70 a day (253 week days in year including 28 days paid holiday) so £17,710 per year.

Freelancer

100 a day (225 days working 28 days holiday) assuming full employment£22,500 - (PPE, saw and chain, climbing kit, training, National Insurance contributions, accountants/time in the office, increased travel distances etc etc..). That got to cost at least £2,500 a year.. Perhaps a subbie would let us know their annual costs?

So you are £2290 a year or just over £9 a day better off. With no sick pay and other benefits of having regular employment. Such as easy days and early finishes:001_smile:

Don't forget as a subbie you get to offset your expenses against tax liabilities and only pay a tiny amount of NI.

I used to do very well as a subbie, much better off financially than as an employee, and less stress and hours than running a contracting co.

I was driving 45 minutes to work (employed) every day and using £70 of fuel a week, I didnt get sick pay, and had to book holidays moths in advance and even they had to be approved..at the moment I'm driving 15 minutes to work, using less fuel, of which I can claim a percentage back, earning more money, working less hours and can have days off when I choose, for me the subby route is working out..but then I haven't had great experience being employed...

I'm not trying to down play employers or business owners just going on my experience

We use Subbie climbers

I usually climb alongside them for multiple dismantles etc

The ones who are good and there are few of them, I think deserve way more than £150. Personally I like everyone to get there fair slice of cheddar and then there more likely to help you out when your in a tight spot. If there good they will make you good money and deserve to reap those benefits

Same here. We get SSP if we're off for long enough, but it's pretty common round here not to get paid sick pay in full.

Funnily as an employee I'm all for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Yea see I'm familiar with this bud, if your off more than 4 days and can provide a doctors note you get ssp, no good for me as Iv probably had only a hand full of sick days in the last 5 years...

We use Subbie climbers

I usually climb alongside them for multiple dismantles etc

The ones who are good and there are few of them, I think deserve way more than £150. Personally I like everyone to get there fair slice of cheddar and then there more likely to help you out when your in a tight spot. If there good they will make you good money and deserve to reap those benefits

👍 well put mate