Day rate for good Climber?

edbol

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good climbers are team players and look at getting the earliest finish for the whole team, with a tidy job completed and a tidy rake-up.

I've seen some very quick lads who just bombed the groundies all day then minced around on the deck.

I used to be one.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Iv just gone self employed (subby) and have gone in at £80 for ground or £100 if required to climb...which I'm happy with as it's a far cry more than being on £70pd as a lead climber on the books...around Warwickshire and the midlands as a sub climber you can earn between £90-150 a day

I don't wish to derail another thread on how much a freelance climber gets.... £90 -£150 seem normal.

But I think if you look at your figures you might not be WAY better off being freelance. There are obviously other advantages just thought it interesting to compare.

On the books:

£70 a day (253 week days in year including 28 days paid holiday) so £17,710 per year.

Freelancer

100 a day (225 days working 28 days holiday) assuming full employment£22,500 - (PPE, saw and chain, climbing kit, training, National Insurance contributions, accountants/time in the office, increased travel distances etc etc..). That got to cost at least £2,500 a year.. Perhaps a subbie would let us know their annual costs?

So you are £2290 a year or just over £9 a day better off. With no sick pay and other benefits of having regular employment. Such as easy days and early finishes:001_smile:

Edited by benedmonds

but you get the joys of taking days off whenever you want... if money is the factor for going as a contract climber, personally i wouldnt bother as you said.

I know but these threads make employees think they are underpaid and I like to redress the balance.. :001_tongue: (Maybe it's just my employees...:blushing:)

I don't wish to derail another thread on how much a freelance climber gets.... £90 -£150 seem normal.

But I think if you look at your figures you might not be WAY better off being freelance. There are obviously other advantages just thought it interesting to compare.

On the books:

£70 a day (253 week days in year including 28 days paid holiday) so £17,710 per year.

Freelancer

100 a day (225 days working 28 days holiday) assuming full employment£22,500 - (PPE, saw and chain, climbing kit, training, National Insurance contributions, accountants/time in the office, increased travel distances etc etc..). That got to cost at least £2,500 a year.. Perhaps a subbie would let us know their annual costs?

So you are £2290 a year or just over £9 a day better off. With no sick pay and other benefits of having regular employment. Such as easy days and early finishes:001_smile:

that is exactly why I'm going employed three days a week and spending the rest of the week 'looking after the children'

children being logs if you are not the taxman:thumbup: