Day rate for good Climber?

edbol

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know but these threads make employees think they are underpaid and I like to redress the balance.. :001_tongue: (Maybe it's just my employees...:blushing:)

That is a good point; making it clear that 'on the books' may seem to be getting paid less, but they have work 5 days a week and presumably all kit provided etc.

By the way up here in Northumberland it seems to be £120-£150 a day for sub contracted climbers, depending on experience.

5 days sick pay, i think is mandatory for emplyed persons. we also have ACC- if you get injured at work or out of work, you are paid 80% of your wages until you are fit to work again. You cannot sue for injuries because of lost income.

10 days for us Drew, accumulative up to 100 days.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

In my experience pay is directly linked to how you contract! if you keep it simple with only a few companies you will earn less as you receive regular work, and do more day to day stuff. If your willing to work for the many you can charge more, expect to get less days from each company, and generally have to take more risk I.e no second climber a lot of the time.

Where your willing to work, going abroad if you know were to go, and have the correct contacts it can be financially rewarding.

What you provide, big saws, rigging kit etc.

And of course, if your a yes man or not.... If you can say yes to any job any day and do it week after week then your gonna get a name for yourself. There isn't a set wage I don't think, just stay greedy and work hard. Your come out trumps eventually.

For me there is no loyalty in companies, sure its there for a few years then they get complacent as to what and how much of a difference you make.

freelance means I have control over my rates, my days, my work, no-one can accuse me of taking a sicky on the sly, (was never my style) I am noones "lacky" and I get far more respect from those that choose to hire me than a man who thinks im his bitch and stuck in his nine to five BS and can therefore treat you like an idiot.

freelance is awesome, and if anyone tries to say your better off employed I guess that depends on your work ethic, those that are born to work, will always be better of working for themselves, those that want to have an easy day, well stick to employment and "day rates"

For me there is no loyalty in companies, sure its there for a few years then they get complacent as to what and how much of a difference you make.

freelance means I have control over my rates, my days, my work, no-one can accuse me of taking a sicky on the sly, (was never my style) I am noones "lacky" and I get far more respect from those that choose to hire me than a man who thinks im his bitch and stuck in his nine to five BS and can therefore treat you like an idiot.

freelance is awesome, and if anyone tries to say your better off employed I guess that depends on your work ethic, those that are born to work, will always be better of working for themselves, those that want to have an easy day, well stick to employment and "day rates"

Sounds like you either had a bad selection of employers, or you didn't put in, and they treat you like one of "those that want to have an easy day"

I know of many employers who appreciate their staff who are on the books, decade after decade hitting bonuses and appreciation.

I charge £105-£150 depends on how far I need to travel. Is it worth it? No it isn't worth it, you turn up with a few grands worth of kit that constantly needs replacing/repairing. You don't get holidays or a pension. You need to keep 1 day out of 5 back to pay tax you also need to keep a little back for NI. You can be dropped at any point for reasons that are not your fault.

I also find when subbing in employers and employees expect you to do everything because your on X£££ amout per day so you can easily burn yourself out.

I've found that a subbing is a bit of stop gap for climbers they get sick of their old job fancy a change (it is a nice change) and either set up properly or head back into employment

Yes I'm jacking in the subbing I've got loads of work on (4 months of it) but quality of life and security comes first for me I've got a family and a house to pay for

I'm heading off to utilities

Oh I forgot to add and this really boils my piss company's trying to haggle down your day rate!!!

Oh and sometimes it takes 30 days to get paid

Edited by CJM

I charge £105-£150 depends on how far I need to travel. Is it worth it? No it isn't worth it, you turn up with a few grands worth of kit that constantly needs replacing/repairing. You don't get holidays or a pension. You need to keep 1 day out of 5 back to pay tax you also need to keep a little back for NI. You can be dropped at any point for reasons that are not your fault.

I also find when subbing in employers and employees expect you to do everything because your on X£££ amout per day so you can easily burn yourself out.

I've found that a subbing is a bit of stop gap for climbers they get sick of their old job fancy a change (it is a nice change) and either set up properly or head back into employment

Yes I'm jacking in the subbing I've got loads of work on (4 months of it) but quality of life and security comes first for me I've got a family and a house to pay for

I'm heading off to utilities

Oh I forgot to add and this really boils my piss company's trying to haggle down your day rate!!!

Oh and sometimes it takes 30 days to get paid

I used to love subbing in the UK, roll up do your thing help tidy up go home. No politics and bull that comes with working for a company, you are always working with different people which keeps it interesting and if you are smart with paying tax you don't come out that bad. You don't get paid when you are sick but also you don't have to ask to take time off you just don't book work in for that day.

Subbing can be run like a business and be run smartly and successfully there are some awesome examples on arbtalk

And on the odd a occasion you got paid cash too, ( not as often as I liked mind you )

I used to love subbing in the UK, roll up do your thing help tidy up go home. No politics and bull that comes with working for a company, you are always working with different people which keeps it interesting and if you are smart with paying tax you don't come out that bad. You don't get paid when you are sick but also you don't have to ask to take time off you just don't book work in for that day.

Subbing can be run like a business and be run smartly and successfully there are some awesome examples on arbtalk

And on the odd a occasion you got paid cash too, ( not as often as I liked mind you )

I'm in a bad mood today, once I'm in a good mood I'll give you the pros haha