Spiders anyone ?

Craiglr90

It's a Segestria florentina or common tube web spider, completely harmless and only a danger to a passing woodlouse, definitely not a Cobolt..... Lividums are tarantulas (Mygalomorphae) and this is a true spider (Araneomorphae)

And squashing her? Seriously? She's a whole 16mm on a good day, try keeping and breeding a spider and you'll appreciate the battle it's taken to get her that far..... If 2 out of 500 make it to maturity it's a miracle

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app

Agree with your ident, can't see the chelicerae but it's hard to see it as anything else. Quite far north for a record though, isn't it?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with your ident, can't see the chelicerae but it's hard to see it as anything else. Quite far north for a record though, isn't it?

Sheffield actually has a thriving population it's one of the most northerly locations on record .... There found in most of Wales now too and are spreading further a field, it's a juvi because it hasn't got it's typical adult coloration yet but as you say without a chelicerae shot it's not 100%

We get a lot of woodlouse spiders (Dysdera crocata) here which are another on the list of indigenous species capable of delivering a bite as their mouthparts are designed to crunch through woodlouse shell.

This one took a dump on my hand :D

Another rescued from a pile of old buddleia chumps I was clearing up

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433690911.978125.jpg.cc356c66df0fad2be5560d24e518a66a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a week in Turkey, and discovered a camel spider in our villa. It was as big as my hand, and I have big hands! So, being the brave sort, I allowed Mrs bob to take the lead. It had a bloody great big set of pincers, and looked like it could cover ground quickly, so it was quickly dealt with by way of the 10' long pool cleaning net and a size 12 north face shoe. Perhaps a shame to deal with it this way, but not taking any chances with a nearly 4 year old running around. Not venomous as far as I could tell, but can inflict nasty bites. I'll try and post a pic once I've done something techy with the camera.

Just had a week in Turkey, and discovered a camel spider in our villa. It was as big as my hand, and I have big hands! So, being the brave sort, I allowed Mrs bob to take the lead. It had a bloody great big set of pincers, and looked like it could cover ground quickly, so it was quickly dealt with by way of the 10' long pool cleaning net and a size 12 north face shoe. Perhaps a shame to deal with it this way, but not taking any chances with a nearly 4 year old running around. Not venomous as far as I could tell, but can inflict nasty bites. I'll try and post a pic once I've done something techy with the camera.

No it was venomous lol just nothing particularly exciting, solifugids are usually very docile and not at all aggressive most "bite reports" are in fact usually accountable to scorpions but the first thing they find is a camel spider in their bed so blame that, very fragile and relatively short lived.

• 2 months later...