replacement saw recomendations for my mill

ecodao

Hi there to all,

I am looking for a large old saw to use in my alaskan mill,

I am currently using a Echo Cs8000 80cc , but i am wanting to find something else to use in it.

can anyone recommend a good powerful old saw ?

obviously price comes into it as i cant really afford hundreds and hundreds on a saw. and i am even willing to get a non runner and fix it up, as over here there are lots of spare parts for the older saws. just not many runners that people want to sell, they tend to buy them and keep them until they die.

recommendations please .........

thanks

Steve Portugal

Big old Stihls are good as they keep going, parts availability is excellent (OEM and pattern) and the fact that they are heavy is less of an issue when milling. They also tend to have manual oilers which helps for long bars.

I would suggest keeping an eye out for an 075 or 076 (see current thread) or an 070. An 090 would be great, but they tend to make a lot more.

Alec

Thankyou for your reply agg221 ,

yes i was hoping to go for an old stihl, there are a few other makes that my local dealer has knocking about in the back of the workshop, (good running big old saws), I will find out the makes and models and get back to you .

thanks

Steve Portugal

Don't they just - I just bought an MS880 off eBay for £855, crazy money for a saw that wasn't in working order too !

Wouldn't you of been better of buying a new one? That seems alot of money for a saw not in working order tgat could of had a hard life, at least with a new one you'd have piece of mind and you wouldn't need a great deal more money on top of your £855.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

Wouldn't you of been better of buying a new one? That seems alot of money for a saw not in working order tgat could of had a hard life, at least with a new one you'd have piece of mind and you wouldn't need a great deal more money on top of your £855.

I couldn't find a new one for anywhere near that, and I was lured into believing the "had little use" and "in good condition" stated by the seller - to be honest I don't think the seller knew it was as bad as it was.

Once I get the parts it'll be a good-un :001_cool:

I couldn't find a new one for anywhere near that, and I was lured into believing the "had little use" and "in good condition" stated by the seller - to be honest I don't think the seller knew it was as bad as it was.

Once I get the parts it'll be a good-un :001_cool:

If you are needing a bar set up, I'm selling my 50" bar, 3 chains and mill as I've just upgraded to a double ended milling set up.

Jonathan