Top handle saw use on the ground

alex01

i dont really like top-handle saws, they are awkward to use, hard on the wrists and you dont get the leverage of a proper saw. they are however, balanced in such a way as to make them excellent for use in one hand... (i suspect they may even have been designed for just this, mad conspiracy theory i know). if im using a top handle saw it is aloft, and 75% of the time in only my right hand... but then, im a terrible person

• 1 year later...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do know a guy who has a very nasty scar on his throat from hitting a wire fence whilst using a top handle on the ground, with two hands on the saw I belive. I have watched someone else get bad kickback from a top handle in a almost identical situation(even after I warned them), but the kickback was away from them so no issue. I would say that this could still occur in the right situation in a tree, but conditions on the ground make it more likely. I have worked breifly with a contractor who used a top handle one handed to sned branches on my chipper tray which made me feel very uneasy.

used my tophandle on on ground on saturday don't generally do this but in order to get at the last 6 feet of the tree i had no option as the 2 back handle saws i own where just too big for the confined space i was working in, even then my top handle only just fitted i do not condone this practice but what do you do when your in such a confined place ? leave it stood ? or whack out the top handle and finish the job?

A while back, when this came up once before, I asked what the issue was with using top-handled saws on the ground - me being 'an interested outsider' - cos I had thought well they sound jolly handy. Someone kindly replied saying about the temptation to reach forward - to cut and hold - and having your arm pulled into the bar.

I felt a twinge in my arm - just there - when I read it and feel that same twinge whenever top-handled saws being used on the ground is mentioned.

I can currently feel a dull ache in my left fore-arm.

I'm weird!

Happy Days

Yourn.

One of our lads was kicked off of a Balfours job for using a top handle on a motorway bank, he was also put on their blacklist of never to be employed again. Also caused no end of grief with paperwork flying about the office.

Another lad that was trimming back a massive hedge picked up a top handle to trim back some of the larger twigs and it flicked back into his helmet, it ripped off the visor and took a lump out of his eyebrow. Top handles now have a chain through all them and only the climbers have the key.

Bob