Stihl 261 or husky 550

The handyman

you need a 5105 ASAP :thumbup::thumbup:

Have you got the 5105?

I'm sure I'll get a Dolmar one day.... perhaps a much bigger saw than the 5105, a Dolmar suited for sorting out the big trees and Alaskan milling :thumbup:

Cheers, Steve

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used a 560 the other day, really nice saw, gotta say I am regretting buying my 261 now, my needle bearing shattered into a million pieces, oiler arm - non-exsistent and has worn down the diameter of the crank - almost a write off I was told. Got it fixed though and is fine now. But was told grease the needle bearing as much as you dare and don't over work the chain break.

I can't be sure, one machine looked low hours, the other higher but not abused by any means and believe me - I have seen the difference.

Just take the side cover off every month or so, take the bar and chain off and see how much wobble there is on the clutch.

Just put a finger on each side of the drum and push one side and then the other - new it will be tight with little movement, once it looks like one of those plates on the wobbly sticks they used to have on The Generation Game it is well shot.

Pop the circlip and grease it - it will help! Don't want to scaremonger but the needleless bearing was the worst I had ever seen - amazed no one had noticed:001_rolleyes::lol:

Checked it the other day and greased it up.Fine so far.

Cheers.

I have a 2012 261 and think its good. It has worked full time for 2 years, I went through a few needle bearings as there was movement in clutch drum. But bought an updated new clutch drum and a metal needle bearing off eBay(non official part) and has run like a dream ever since. I have used a 560 and they are much faster and it probably is the better saw, but the 261 is by no means rubbish.

I have a 2012 261 and think its good. It has worked full time for 2 years, I went through a few needle bearings as there was movement in clutch drum. But bought an updated new clutch drum and a metal needle bearing off eBay(non official part) and has run like a dream ever since. I have used a 560 and they are much faster and it probably is the better saw, but the 261 is by no means rubbish.

I have both and still like my 261...but that 560 is a bit of an Alfa.:001_rolleyes: