English Climber wanting advice for work around Europe Sweden, Germany, Austria, Norwa

I am currently working in NZ and am looking into/ researching my next move.

My plan is once I finish up in NZ (Nov 14) I want to work around Europe in countries like

Austria

Belgium

Denmark

Germany

Italy

Norway

Sweden

Etc

I am just keen to hear from people who have worked in any of these places or anywhere else and how they found it,what the good bits are and the bad bits and maybe even help with contacts. I am open to working employed or self employed. I am happy to working for company's for 3 months to a year or whatever work is available as long as it is viable to earn a living.

I understand language barriers might be an issue in places but willing to learn and adapt

I have looked on arbjobs for work around Europe but only Sweden is advertising.

I have a CV ( currently being updates ) loads of references and loads of pictures

Around 3 years experiences, worked in the UK as a freelance climber for about 8 months before I came to NZ for a year where I am currently working as a foreman/climber

I have a while yet till I am back to the UK in November but like to be organised with work so listening learning and planning now doesn't seem like a bad idea

Thanks folks

Arran

• 2 months later...

Hi Arran. Just a quick message to say high and hope you are enjoying NZ. We are currently looking for a lead climber and a secondary climber/ groundsman in Hamilton NZ (North Island) what are your plans here? We are a small- medium arboricultural business with a lot of growth ahead of us, we have great opportunities for staff at the moment. Are you planning on sticking around NZ or off traveling? would love to chat more any time.

contact us any time- e-mail- [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you took up on y'mans offer, but I'm an Brit/Irish working here in Germany (my wife is a native), and I find working here not a problem if you are employed. Going self-employed I found a bit complicated, but if you are an EU citizen l found getting work here is easy. Non-EU citizens may be more of an issue, you'll have to check that out.

For Germany, check out the "Arbeits Agentur" (work agent) for job offers. It's in German though. And be prepared to work early/long days. I start at 6am and normally at home at around 5-6pm

If you want though, I know that the company I work is often looking for climbers, especially at the moment with guys with bust knees and starting technician courses. And aside from me, we have at least 3 others that speak English, so language shouldn't be an issue to begin with. Most tree, or "Baumpflege" companies have English speakers too.

Whatever you choose to do, all the best!:001_smile:

First, unless you can speak German, find someone that can :001_smile: Then check out the Arbeits Agentur, JOBBRSE der Bundesagentur fr Arbeit - Deutschlands grtes Online-Jobportal. they are the German equivalent of The Job Center. (you can change the language into English, but you have search for "Baumpflege", results are in German)

Or, if you want to jump in the deep end, check out Baumpflege-Oberweser.de.

Thats the company I work for. He has actually got advertized on that and the jobboerse website that he is looking for people, so perhaps check that out too. If you do send a cv, i would suggest that you mention that you saw the advert on that website.

If you can't somehow translate your whole cv/intro letter into German, then maybe just start with a sentence or two in German explaining, and the rest in English. If the boss cant read it, then he will ask an employee that can.

Most companies here expect an introduction letter aswell as a traditional CV.

As for moving to germany and getting a job here, its easy, but remember to bring as much paperwork, bank statements, tax papers, and general paper stuff as is possible. I cannot stress that enough, paperwork is RIDICULOUSLY important here.

Hope that helps a bit......:001_huh:

Hi Arran. Just a quick message to say high and hope you are enjoying NZ. We are currently looking for a lead climber and a secondary climber/ groundsman in Hamilton NZ (North Island) what are your plans here? We are a small- medium arboricultural business with a lot of growth ahead of us, we have great opportunities for staff at the moment. Are you planning on sticking around NZ or off traveling? would love to chat more any time.

contact us any time- e-mail- [email protected]

Hello mate, sounds like a brilliant offer but am just starting with a new company in auckland and will be leaving NZ in oct and hopefully going to Sweden next. Will ask around for you though as there are loads of keen travelling arborists in auckland

• 5 weeks later...

Arran, With reference to Germany make sure you are there in the summer i looked for a long time in Berlin but to no avail got offered a snow plowing job from a gardening firm though, also with italy it is almost impossible to find arb work, there are a few people doing it maybe one company per city i know this is the case with florence and cagliari, i ended up pruning olive trees for 2 and 1/2 months at 8EUR a tree, good luck!

• 7 months later...

I will be leaving the states and going to Stockholm on the 28th. I found a gig via arbjobs and I'm taking the plunge. Everyone I've talked to on this forum and in person have told me to just do it. The American guys I've spoken to said they were all paid directly through monthly wire transfers while working in Germany. I plan filing self employed taxes here in the states if I work there under a year.

I'll keep you posted on how green the grass is on the other side as the employer I'm going to has two "kiwis" working for him now.

Not sure if you have a gopro but I've found sending a few removal videos along with a CV helps a lot.

Good luck Aaron!