What does a cube of dry logs weigh? Test

Woodworks

I have been meaning to double check this for some time so I have just been out to check. The logs are about 80% beech with a snaffle (phrase on loan from TCD) of other hedgerow trees including oak, sycamore and hazel.

The only scales I have suitable are some sheep scales so first I checked their accuracy with a couple of feed sacks. For some old scales I was pretty impressed as they read exactly 50 kg.

An IBC crate was filled to 1.01 m3. Close enough for me :biggrin:

I put the logs through the scales in batches.

Split and tested 10 logs from the crate with the highest being 26% and lowest 20% interestingly the sycamore was the wettest. Average from the 10 was 23%.

Total weight was 366 kg.

And then a picture of a cube in the back of a Defender 90.

DSC02206.jpg.35263d04716622c51bccbba42d82e1c5.jpg

DSC02205.jpg.a0c88aa2b92a7aba44a68178050b3eb0.jpg

DSC02204.jpg.22d88e468d5d1d3665aa7f78f7257fbb.jpg

DSC02201.jpg.06335334321317122d33d8f57c5c0b3f.jpg

DSC02200.jpg.cb50cbc4efc6ce2bb9360651a3d880fd.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woodworks, I see that your 1m3 crate is filled very neatly, because according to some official statistics a loose filled 1m3 hardwood load should weight about 300kgs with a moisture content of 23%. what are you charging for these loads?

The logs have only been thrown into the crate but have had about 10 months to settle. I think 300kg would be a pretty mean cube of dry hardwood or very dry.

"What am I charging?"

More than my customers want and less than I would like :thumbup:

Ownly messing with you. £95 per cube.

The logs have only been thrown into the crate but have had about 10 months to settle. I think 300kg would be a pretty mean cube of dry hardwood or very dry.

"What am I charging?"

More than my customers want and less than I would like :thumbup:

Ownly messing with you. £95 per cube.

you must have a very good throwing technique then :thumbup:

I've worked out that your £/kWh is 0.0675, which is very competitive indeed! I'm basing this on a calorific value of 3884 kWh for a moisture content of 23%. yes, i'm a bit of a geek :001_cool:. I've simply averaged statistics from sources such as scotlang.gov.uk, aebiom.org & biomassenergycentre.org.uk, and performed a linear interpolation to give me calorific values for any (wet) moisture level.

hope this helps.

you must have a very good throwing technique then :thumbup:

I've worked out that your £/kWh is 0.0675, which is very competitive indeed! I'm basing this on a calorific value of 3884 kWh for a moisture content of 23%. yes, i'm a bit of a geek :001_cool:. I've simply averaged statistics from sources such as scotlang.gov.uk, aebiom.org & biomassenergycentre.org.uk, and performed a linear interpolation to give me calorific values for any (wet) moisture level.

hope this helps.

You need to check your maths there Luke :001_smile:

are you sure? i adjusted the weight of 366kgs so that it was for 1m3, not 1.01m3. that brings your cost per tonne to £262. now you're making me paranoid

"are you sure"

Not in the slightest :lol:

I have made a balls up of my kWh to pounds sums. Don't be paranoid my school boy error :thumbup:

I'm getting similar results

I also find that a builders bag weighs about 1/4 ton as they tend to only hold around .7m3

I'm gonna have to find a better resource for my statistics. AEBOIM say that hardwood, freshly stacked, 20% moisture, per m3 should weigh 450kg. I suspect this is a little high and should be around 430kg. But in any case, if we use a conversion factor of around 0.64 for stacked to loose, you should be getting ~ 275kg.