Best panel van for towing?

simsimo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

running td5 crew cab defender 300tdi 130"tipper and iveco 35c14 (3l dual wheel) 06 model.

for easiest fastest towing towing i take the iveco, she will cope with 5 ton NOT LEGAL….she will pull like a train,but for in around town tight hills etc the defender is ace, plus you have low box for reversing and maneuvering … one of the lads has a disco td5 it is horrible to get going…. if you go for a disco and are towing full time get a defender transfer box….. but hands down for heavy towing the iveco! one of the lads has a 5 toni eco and it is a lot stiffer suspension wise but again is a great tow….. regularly tow 4.5 ton bobcat with another ton and a half of implements ….. better than the sprinter equivalent …. dooe not rust as much good on fuel….. and best of all loads of room to spread out the gear and keep it dry……hope this helps….. oh yesiveco allowed 3.5 ton on over run brakes…...

Are they low geared on the motorway. Any more grief with the disco and will be looking round for one with a tacho in. Thanks for Carls no the other day he should be with us on site Tuesday with his Mog and crane.

No Steve, they are bang on. I think there are different gearings available.

One revvs at about 3500 at 70mph and is a bit noisy at that.

We have one that is limited to 70mph at about 3000rpm, and it will float along at that. Drove it to Glasgow and back a couple of weeks ago no worries. Towed 3.5 ton up there with a loaded and came back empty not towing. You dont even know a trailer is behind it.

Not as comfy as a disco of course, but very good for a van!

Carls a sound chap, sure he will get it sorted for you. And now I know I have a beer in from him down the pub! :biggrin:

We had a new shape 04 plate never seen so much rust on a 5 year old van. 150 hp was a nippy but had to get the miles on to beat the rust. 200k in 5 years. Fell to bits at 100k rebuilt under warranty then did another 100k no probs.

Hi, Vito I take it. Was that the body that went not the engine? Would you get another?

Thanks

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hi, Vito I take it. Was that the body that went not the engine? Would you get another?

Thanks

Yes I would have another pentagon commercial dealer were fab. Engine pulled like a train brakes were incredible. I would avoid white ones until they galvanised the bodies about 58 plate. If you must go back on years the metallic ones dont seem to rust as much. Mine used to cruise through germany at 100 mph + I think the body rusted partly because the tyre chains used to come off when at the top of Norway. Problems to look for we had with ours in 200k over 5 years. Propshaft fell off. gearbox selector cables. new Gearbox they have a problem when pulling away they jump out of 1st gear and it wont go back with out declutching , set of headlights filled with snow. 3 exhaust clamps at front, several sets of rear shocks ( very small ) indicator stalks,

59766896d3e25_newcannon117(600x400).jpg.f9427442e728a50408b24d5e5682f2f3.jpg

Yes I would have another pentagon commercial dealer were fab. Engine pulled like a train brakes were incredible. I would avoid white ones until they galvanised the bodies about 58 plate. If you must go back on years the metallic ones dont seem to rust as much. Mine used to cruise through germany at 100 mph + I think the body rusted partly because the tyre chains used to come off when at the top of Norway. Problems to look for we had with ours in 200k over 5 years. Propshaft fell off. gearbox selector cables. new Gearbox they have a problem when pulling away they jump out of 1st gear and it wont go back with out declutching , set of headlights filled with snow. 3 exhaust clamps at front, several sets of rear shocks ( very small ) indicator stalks,

Appreciate the input. Thanks for taking the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Best van iv used for towing was a Transit lwb T350 125 it pulled a fully loaded 16ft ifor williams lovely ( steer well clear of the 90,s ) my old iveco daily was powerful and towed well but given the choice between the too transit wins, stay away from any thing front wheel drive there just not man enuff

Vito & Sprinter share same engine/box. They both weigh in around 2ton empty, depending on model & spec. Vito about 100kg less - ish. In the 3/3.5ton weight class they both can tow 2ton. Apparently there's mods/upgrades that let the Vito tow 500kg more weight, according to mercedes. But the 5ton sprinters can tow more, when upgraded from standard.

Does anyone run either? Would be interested to know how easy they are to service/fix & relative economy's ie, parts & mpg? Thinking of camper/day van use, thanks

drove the vito 108 and did over 100k in it non turbo usless puffed going up hill. went to the 108 turbo not bad truck but the 110 was a far better beast and better fuel econamy did abot 40mpg. they then changed them to the 112 and the 115 the latter has to much power used in the big sprinters and way over top for the vito. so if you can find one the 110 or the 112. servicing was on par for main dealers. had very litle go wrong with any of mine did over 600k in them untill we changed to VW not a patch on the vito. was looking at getting a panel van and the vito was one i was going to look at as has good space in back the people carriers well they are a dream so comfy never ever did get the chance to have one. will take 6 people in comfert.