Best panel van for towing?

simsimo

Yes,that was also my understanding Steve,leaving people carriers and mini buses to one side,i didnt think that just because you've glass in the back doors that entitled you to do 60 on normal roads,but my white van man friends claimed otherwise to me.

Seems strange since our vito had the most incredible brakes and cornering stability/ traction control and top speed of 125 mph. If anyone goes for a merc vito with second row of seats try to get the travel liner rather than the duo liner ours was incredibly noisey for an extra £150 when purchased new you can have a complete lining kit and insulation.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offence to the two guys that have mentioned vw's, but what pieces of utter sh1t they are. Had a t32 for 3 years, beat over eighty thousand miles on it and i hated every inch. Over rated, over priced, noisy, uncomfortable, unreliable and when you got the trailer on well........ I had a 10x5 ifor and four floatation wheels and tyres on coming down the m1 past tibshelf and a mog overtook me pulling a slew!!!!! Talk about burning diesel, jesus, the diesel consumption was nearlly as bad as the oil use. My god did it spend some time in the workshop.

Got it gone, now got a rwd transit. Happy days. ***** choice for years. Something like 80% of all robberies have used a transit as a get away truck. Not sure about the new custom but i got a last week of southampton built and she is a beauty

We have one that is limited to 70mph at about 3000rpm, and it will float along at that....... You dont even know a trailer is behind it.

Can't disagree - it was a bit of a revelation when that one arrived, but the old transit was more comfier (but loud) - like driving a big, yellow (and rusty) sofa :thumbup1:

Only real negative I remember with the Iveco's were that they were really harsh ride when empty.

Can't disagree - it was a bit of a revelation when that one arrived, but the old transit was more comfier (but loud) - like driving a big, yellow (and rusty) sofa :thumbup1:

Only real negative I remember with the Iveco's were that they were really harsh ride when empty.

Still looking good always have 750kg on more if going big servicing. Been looking at these

58 IVECO TWIN REAR WHEEL PTO COMPRESSOR GENERATOR SERVICE FITTERS GROUNDWORK VAN | eBay

Could even take my expresso machine :001_tongue:

Renault Traffic is FWD isn't it? You'll want RWD for more towing capacity.

Anyone thats tried a hill start in the rain with a fwd motor pulling a trailer will confirm it has to be rwd. :)

Still looking good always have 750kg on more if going big servicing. Been looking at these

58 IVECO TWIN REAR WHEEL PTO COMPRESSOR GENERATOR SERVICE FITTERS GROUNDWORK VAN | eBay

Could even take my expresso machine :001_tongue:

I know a guy that did the development work on those Winton pto conversions here in Woking , they bolt in like a cassette so its not much grief to strip out if you want the payload back. The problem with these trucks is the mileage does not take into consideration the PTO equipment hours. Something like this could easily have 4000 + hours on the pto equipment which is run off the prop , so engine and box in real terms could have been to mars and back.

Bob

Anyone thats tried a hill start in the rain with a fwd motor pulling a trailer will confirm it has to be rwd. :)

I know a guy that did the development work on those Winton pto conversions here in Woking , they bolt in like a cassette so its not much grief to strip out if you want the payload back. The problem with these trucks is the mileage does not take into consideration the PTO equipment hours. Something like this could easily have 4000 + hours on the pto equipment which is run off the prop , so engine and box in real terms could have been to mars and back.

Bob

A good point that never occured to me engine may also be glazed and coked up. Although I think high hours should be easy to spot from the rattles and condition of the kit. I have yet to confirm what these vans will tow. There is 6 tonne iveco on arb trader and that is listed as towing 2.2 tonnes. I dont really need large van with heavy payload but like the idea of twin wheel and towing 3500kg. twin wheel swb low roof 900kg payload would be fine 30 mpg would be good 20mpg forget it.