Best panel van for towing?

simsimo

drove the vito 108 and did over 100k in it non turbo usless puffed going up hill. went to the 108 turbo not bad truck but the 110 was a far better beast and better fuel econamy did abot 40mpg. they then changed them to the 112 and the 115 the latter has to much power used in the big sprinters and way over top for the vito. so if you can find one the 110 or the 112. servicing was on par for main dealers. had very litle go wrong with any of mine did over 600k in them untill we changed to VW not a patch on the vito. was looking at getting a panel van and the vito was one i was going to look at as has good space in back the people carriers well they are a dream so comfy never ever did get the chance to have one. will take 6 people in comfert.

Ours was a 115 good fun to drive but difficult to get more than 30mpg. The more power you have the more you use unless you are very self disiplined ( not me ) 250 bhp disco now 21 mpg gets the work done though.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happened to put my VW transporter with trailer and load on a weighbridge this week. 3500kgs. Which I understand is the max gross train weight I can have on my licence anyway. The trailer empty weighs in at about 500kgs, the trailer load was 960kgs. The van, tools, stock and fuel must have been 2000kgs but the van itself looked half empty! However the specification for the van (2800 model) is for a 4900kg gross train weight, where 2200kgs can be on the trailer.

At 3500kgs the vehicle drove just fine, only a little slow.

I happened to put my VW transporter with trailer and load on a weighbridge this week. 3500kgs. Which I understand is the max gross train weight I can have on my licence anyway. The trailer empty weighs in at about 500kgs, the trailer load was 960kgs. The van, tools, stock and fuel must have been 2000kgs but the van itself looked half empty! However the specification for the van (2800 model) is for a 4900kg gross train weight, where 2200kgs can be on the trailer.

At 3500kgs the vehicle drove just fine, only a little slow.

I thought unless you have a grandad licence it was 750kg gross for the trailer keeping everyting under 3500kg. or do you mean you dont need a tacho.

May i just ask a question and sorry for derail,but theres some panel van experts here it seems.A fellow was telling me the other day that while accepting that Sprinters/Trafics/Transits are restricted to 50 on normal roads,he maintained that if they had glass in the back doors then you can steam on at 60 without fear of being pulled over.

True or false?

if it has glass in back and rear and has seating in back then is classed as a car so can be driven as a car. also toll bridges class them as cars so only pay car prices.

we had vito dream liners and there was room in boot for all the gear we took.

what you can not do is just put glass in a it will still be classed as a van. and

you can only do van speed 60mph on duel and motorways and 50 on other roads unless stated as lower. one of our lads got done for doing 70 on the A38 should of been doing 60mph. argued the case with police and ended up in court with a £200 fine and 3 points instead of £60 and 3 points.

May i just ask a question and sorry for derail,but theres some panel van experts here it seems.A fellow was telling me the other day that while accepting that Sprinters/Trafics/Transits are restricted to 50 on normal roads,he maintained that if they had glass in the back doors then you can steam on at 60 without fear of being pulled over.

True or false?

I dont think thats right. You can get an idea from your tax disc lgv = commercial. Any panel van unless made as a people carrier will be 50mph. Car derived vans same as car.

I dont think thats right. You can get an idea from your tax disc lgv = commercial. Any panel van unless made as a people carrier will be 50mph. Car derived vans same as car.

Yes,that was also my understanding Steve,leaving people carriers and mini buses to one side,i didnt think that just because you've glass in the back doors that entitled you to do 60 on normal roads,but my white van man friends claimed otherwise to me.