laying hedges late into end of season

hedgesparrow

I'm getting a bit confused here as I think are others.

The Countryside and Wildlife Act 1981 makes it illegal to disturb nesting birds ( only the wording was amended by the CROW act to add 'recklessly'), which includes birds carrying nest material. If you carry on work after seeing a blue tit go into your soon to be layed hedge carrying a twig, you are in breach of the above act. Collared doves for example can breed all year, so if one is nesting in your hedge in December, you must stop work.

The above is the LAW.....not guidelines. Should you be challenged about disturbance you will have to prove you are competent to and have taken all steps to make sure your hedge is free from nesting birds. "Well I never noticed the birds going in and out of the hedge" isn't a defence.

As to the welfare of late layed hedges and the so called season, I'll leave that the the more experienced.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got hold of natural england. and the cutting of hedges by mechanical means ends 1st march as other posts. as for laying. we all like to finish early as dorset says the summer jobs are on. but this year has not been normal.

and guidlines i receives was can lay hedges untill end of march if already laying then then on checking hedge and no nesting birds then can carry on untill end of april. draw back is if its a vey dense hedge and job to look in i think i would hold off and go back in september. but hedges i am on are open young stock and can see aything trying or nesting. all i have seen walking hedge is old last year nest no new ones.

but there has to be proper guidlines to work to maybe something NHLS could do for its members so no dispute if challenged.

• 5 months later...

i have booked my hedges to start 3rd week of september trust leaves will be starting to drop. and trust we have a normal winter this year. not the extremes of being to cold or to wet like last year.

and have my new yorkshire to try out. need to get a photo put up as Simon made a cracking job. one of 4 made so far. Dorset having no 1

Only recently found out about the end of april rule myself, always used to finish 1st march same as for flailing, although I did once lay one in may on a domestic job. Always started beginning of september as used to have more than I could do in a season anyway so would make a n early start, last year was first time in 23 years didnt lay a single hedge :001_cool:

New CAP cross compliance rules for 2015

"a longer 'no trimming' season for hedges will run from 1 March until 31 August 2015.This will also apply to trees from the start of 2015"

There is no mention of any change to the coppicing dates.

The forestry commission define a tree as greater than 150mm at 1.3 meters.

How can you cut 5 cube of firewood a quarter when you can't cut for 6 months ?

New CAP cross compliance rules for 2015

"a longer 'no trimming' season for hedges will run from 1 March until 31 August 2015.This will also apply to trees from the start of 2015"

There is no mention of any change to the coppicing dates.

The forestry commission define a tree as greater than 150mm at 1.3 meters.

How can you cut 5 cube of firewood a quarter when you can't cut for 6 months ?

Is it the case that this applies to agricultural land where funding is drawn down in subsidy, but not necessarily relevant to any other areas not drawing down CAP subsidy? That's the way I'm seeing it but appreciate any corrections if I've misinterpreted.