which saw for detail carving

smudge1

im new to chainsaw carving and looking into getting a detail saw. Im thinking the stihl 192c as its light, my only worry was it wouldnt have enough power.

Other options are 200 but a bit heavy and too expensive or the new 150 which im guessing may lack power or the echo cs 280 wes which i can get cheap through work.

ive got a 362 for blocking and own a top handle 200 and 150 (obviously not good for carving with)

Any help would be much appreciated

I doubt you would find a 192. But if you did grab it as they are like hens teeth and supposedly very good for carving. I have a 200 for carving with a 12, 10, 8" bars to fit. My most favorite saw. I once traded my rear handle 200 for the newer version 201. I ended up selling the 201 on ebay and bought my 200 back from the dealer. The 201 was crap in comparison

Power is not really a consideration for a detailing saw. A detailing saw is just thta, for small cuts and for details :) for big cuts, use a bigger saw :) I use my big saw for the big cuts, I use a husky 440 with a 12 inch toonie bar (got it from RobD on these forums, well wort the money, get the sugi hama one) for smaller and more intricate cuts (it will do the big cuts but its slow and im inpatient). for my detailing I have use an MS180 (im on my second, first was old and second hand when i got it) for 18 months now and find its perfect for the job. light and small as my key considerations.

a big plus for the 180 is that they are cheep!

Hiya, I have both of these saws ,ms192 and an Wes 270cs.

Not tried any other saws with carving bars but both of these are perfect for carving.

The 192 has more umph! No probs with 12" bar, but as previously mention they don't make em any more and are hard to come by. They sometimes appear on eBay but they're priced accordingly. I got mine from a dealer who'd had it sat on the display for ages,he just wanted shut of it, £220 brand new, a nearly bit his hand off.result.

I reckon you should go with the echo with a 10" on it.

Not tried echo but if you go with that take a look at the 360wes, bit heavier than the 270/280 but more oomph! You don't need bags of power but the bigger saw will help you carve quicker. The 1/4 sprockets for 270 are hard to get.

My detail saw is a 200 but I also carve with some 026's, they are pretty quick!

I have the cs280wes and it's a cracking little saw for the price. Done some hedge thinning when I first got it but it lives on a carving bar now and it's great. Sadly it is difficult to get a 1/4 sprocket but echo have finally replied with the part number for one and said any echo dealer can order it at around £29+vat