best way to replace old grass with new turf?

thecaptain

I would convince them to plant at least half of it as a wildflower meadow. Less maintenance, only need to cut once a year, not 50, and no spraying in future, a million times more beneficial to the environment, and wildlife. Far better than boring lawns. But that's just me :)

Or, spray it, kill the lot, then cut collect debris, and rotivate. Spread 1/4 inch of topsoil, add fertiliser, then lay turf, or at a fraction of the cost, seed. It's almost the perfect time.

As above on the spraying, rotovating, raking or a turf cutter but then a lot of waste. On the new turfing front have a look at Rolawn, they do turf in 13 metre "cotton reel strips" on a "hose roller" which they lend you, easy to walk along and lay. These pics are a bit extreme but shows what can be done.

Stream.jpg.41bd6c3c0648aea93a236344d4747e94.jpg

5976687a5efc8_Cottages4.jpg.d8c6e0de8634bef62f3c5c00b86c39a6.jpg

5976687a5d91b_Cottages2.jpg.9b01792e0388a956800371c731ec7ab3.jpg

5976687a5bd85_Cottages1.jpg.33b3fa66435b4b2a3b768a381e4a36e9.jpg

Scrape off old turf

Rotorvate if the soil is of good quality and remove any large stones rocks etc

Roller area and remove lumps and bumps

Fluff up the soil with a light raking and scatter a thin layer of sharp Sand over the whole area

Lay your first row of turf

Don't walk over the soil or the new layer turf use a plank of wood or board

Stagger the next row , ie : like when making a wall

Water regularly especially in the warmer weather , a sprinkler is best

Hope this helps mate this is what I tend to do however if I'm wrong someone please let me know

Dan

Don't bother removing the old turf, rotavate it in, you put goodness back into the soil and save a boatload of time and money removing it when it really isn't necessary

Generally no need to spray either unless it's infested with weeds, and even then if you rotavate it properly there is no need to spray.

Several passes with a decent rotavator, then level, raking out any large bits of old lawn the rotavator didn't break up, then roll, then a final rake and then lay your turf off boards (unless using big rolls).

Depending where you are we supply both standard sized rolls and big roll turf (shameful plug)

Edit: you might want to spray it off if replacing with ornamental turf

Edited by scraggs

• 2 weeks later...

I don't no of any landscaper worth his salt that would leave the old turf once you spray it off its dead no goodness left in it spray remove rotervate stone get a stone buiryer over it mix 2 part sharp sand to loam and sprinkle on and rake in and rake it and rake it then lay turf.

If the client wants fine turf give him fine turf and do it properly we have been back to so many jobs where so called landscapers rotervate and chuck turf down and wonder why it looks crap.