150dbh, rollers stopping on larger material.

Suffolk-Matt

before you even think about touching the hydraulics get a gauge on it and read the pressures

OK cards on the table, Im not too clued up on hydro systems, yet own a few!

What sort of gauge would i need and where would I tee it in/take reading?

IF the reading was below manufacturer spec I'm guessing pump would be on it way out?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF the reading was below manufacturer spec I'm guessing pump would be on it way out?

it could be large bits of chip getting stuck under ther bottom roller,

We've had three TWs and they all do the same, it happens rarely at seemingly random times and usually on big lumps. When it happens the rollers continue to turn but very, very slowly. We've just put it down to an electrical issue and dealt with it, or as above when we reverse to fix the issue it usually brings up big lumps from under the lower roller - probably something to do with that.

What gets me is when it's almost finished chewing a big lump and the last 'disc' shaped bit folds in at an angle the moment after the no-stress has already stopped the rollers, creating lots of noise and smoke as the engine battles to regain revs with a lump pressed against the anvil - especially annoying on a petrol TW where there's barely enough torque produced to pick the speed up to cancel the 'pause'. A simple reverse-button override during the no-stress pause would fix this.

low pressures are usually caused by worn pump or motor or relief valve out of adjust generally speaking if the motor or pump is worn the pressure will increase as rpm goes up also when it gets warmer the pressures will reduce

Had that problem on ours Mark from M&Harb diagnosed it as faulty switch in the feed and reverse buttons changed switches problem solved only happened on big timber.

I had a similar problem on one I was working on a couple of years ago, replacing the switches also fixed it and has been trouble free since.

TW150 hydraulic roller pressures are set to 150BAR from the factory.

Testing this should be carried out by either a Timberwolf dealer or a competent hydraulic engineer in a clean environment, if debris has entered the hydraulic system at anytime it can get trapped in the pressure relief valve and reduce the pulling power of the rollers.

Hope this helps :thumbup1:

Just found the picture of the old swiches before the newer modified ones were fitted

Mine does have the older style switches which are on their last legs also. this could well be a factor.

Think I have used 5-6 150DBH's and I do recall all of them doing this at some point or another.

I have the retro fit switches on my "to do list" anyway so will start by doing them.

Anyone got an idea of how much the retro fit kit is from TW?

Mine does have the older style switches which are on their last legs also. this could well be a factor.

Think I have used 5-6 150DBH's and I do recall all of them doing this at some point or another.

I have the retro fit switches on my "to do list" anyway so will start by doing them.

Anyone got an idea of how much the retro fit kit is from TW?

Well it cost £55.74 delivered , 3 years ago.

slim