Bigger Bars

NickinMids

But Logit has fitted an uprated oil pump so I was asking him if what you have stated is still the case

slim

Ah . Sorry . yep I see what you mean . Don't know to be honest but my guess would be it would still have some left but just a guess ......:001_smile:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am confused, can some one explain how by removing every other cutter or two from a chain the ones that remain stay in the wood longer than they would if the missing ones were replaced, surely at a given chain speed in a given size piece of wood the one cutter will remain in the wood & cut for the same period of time & this is not dependant on it having one preset or two before the next cutter( or is there something that I have failed to grasp) :confused1: The logging Co I service saws for, cut a lot of spruce, pine & often use a semi or skip chain,the longest bar they use on the saw mentioned in post# 9 is 28inch, they find the oiler is just about on the limit at that length for their requirements

if there not in the wood longer then how come the chips are coming out are longer?? a full skip chain has only one drive link longer spacing than a normal chain. less cutters mean that they are in contact with the wood longer

Hi Slim and Stubby, yes you have to watch the oil carefully, since the high flow rate oil pump empties the oil tank faster than the standard pump, it was pretty borderline. I ended up filling the petrol + oil tanks before the petrol ran out in order to avoid the chance of the oil running out and to give the saw a breather given that it was working quite hard.

The other side effect is that the minimum flow rate I assume will be higher as well, so if you were normally using the shortest bars for the saw, then you could end up wasting some oil. Not an issue if you normally use the longer bars and worst case you could reinstall the original standard flow oil pump since it is not a very big job to change oil pumps.

One day I hope to splash out on a bigger saw, I am watching the news on the MS661 with interest...

if there not in the wood longer then how come the chips are coming out are longer?? a full skip chain has only one drive link longer spacing than a normal chain. less cutters mean that they are in contact with the wood longer

The chips are coming out longer because they are longer . They now fill the space were a cutter was on a full comp chain . The cutter is not in the wood any longer for a given chain speed .

so more cutters means shorter chips and less cutters means longer chips?

I have always been led to believe that the longer chip syndrome is because the next cutter on a skip type chain is not there to part off the chip cut by the cutter in front of it ( in theory if the cutters were 3/8ths apart the chip would be 3/8ths long before the next cutter takes its own cut, if you then remove alternate cutters the chip would be 3/8ths x 2= 3/4ins so in theory twice the length) Not set in stone but I think that's the reason you are seeing bigger/longer chips Again VERY dependant on the wood type, degree of sharpness of the chain, raker height. It is a bit piece of string like almost any thing can & does happen; I you are getting goodly sized chips go for it :thumbup:

I think the length of chip depends on what wood you are cutting as well. It's just my observation but rip cutting some thick Birch before splitting made what were more like turnings with my 3/8" chain but doing the same in Oak made short pieces almost like granules. This is with fresh sharp chain.