Greenhouse for My Tomatoes

wailen

I am ready to order a greenhouse to use for my tomatoe plants, and maybe a few other small items, but I am still debating a couple items.

From a budget standpoint, the plastic greenhouse I found on one website looks fantastic. From an appearance and durability view, I wonder if a wooden greenhouse is not a better investment. The wooden greenhouses cost almost three times more, but I suspect they will last three times longer if take care of properly.

Have any of you used one of the small plastic greenhouses for growing tomatoes. The pictures I looked at here do not look as clear as the panels on the wood or metal greenhouses. Does that inhibit the growth of your tomatoes, or are they still getting plenty of light?

The other advantage I see to the wooden greenhouse is it matches the deck we have in the backyard, plus is closer to the design of the yard shed we are talking about putting up this summer. The counter argument is I am sure it faster to setup the plastic greenhouse, so I could get my tomatoes started sooner.

My experience with other PVC items is that they tend to become brittle in a couple years and begin to yellow. If that is true, then I would prefer going with their wooden greenhouse choices. I do not want to invest in a greenhouse that is only going to last me one or two seasons.

Please share your experiences with me. Right now I am leaning towards the wooden greenhouse, probalby one about 6 x 6 in size, which is much bigger than the plastic one.

6 x 6 inch??!! I assume you mean feet? A small house i.e less than 8 x 12 will heat up to a very high temp if unattended with vents shut. Defineatly get auto vents.

Have you thought of a polytunnel, more for your money and you can get various special films that do this and that. One type keeps aphids in check.

If you maintain the wooden type will last a lifetime, the greenhouse is probably the most neglected garden kit with maintanence on average. The plastic type will have a short lifespan. Personally i would get a 2nd hand aluminum one locally.

I have the luxury of all three options,,1 =a cheap plastic type, 2 =a 30ft pollytunnel, and 3=a greenhouse,,,,and i still use the cheap plastic one outside my back door for early tomatoes,it works a treat, get 3 plants going,and produces great crops, then we have the pollytunnel,but thats another story,,then the green house,all three work fine,they servedifferent price brackets, !(top tip grow your tomatoes in the cheap one then store the plastic canopy away for the winter!)

a poly tunnel is great can get a 30ft one for less than a wooden greenhouse.

wooden greenhouse a investment will last a lifetime as said looked after has all the vents so it opens when it gets hot. can paint the glass to keep some of the heat out ideal for bringing on new stuff in winter with a little heater.

has so many benifits. love to have one. and some of the top ones come with all the gear so no ned to spend out on extras.

if growing toms my late dad grew his in large plastic pots and trained them on sizal tied to roof of greenhouse never saw such a large crop got so many he was given them away.

have a poly mixed thoughts i need to re sheet mine as it has gone nad need to put a door in back for a free flow of air on a hot day as they get hot very hot. but can grow loads in them. and early as they are getting warm before the outside has. need to do a lot more looking in how to run a polytunnel. as mine up to now has been a waste now sitting all falorn with no plastic as got ripped off in last storm

If you buy one with a sliding door go for one with the lowest step you can find. I guarantee you will kick a high one everytime.

Mine is aluminum frame with polycarbonate panels held in by little clips. Even in a sheltered spot the winds this winter blew a couple of the pqnels out.

No damage and easy to put back but gave the neighbors a laugh.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Arbtalk mobile app

I have both the cheap plastic starter greenhouses, and have 3 aluminium houses all bolted together on the allotment.

I always start my plants, (whatever they are) in the cheap plastic one. I erect it about this time of the year start my seeds off, then after a couple of months transfer them to the main greenhouse. I then pack my plastic one up until next year.

I got all my greenhouses out of the local free adds, dirt cheap. All i had to do was dismantle them. Which is ideal, because then i could mark them up ready for re erecting.

As for keeping the heat down, i have taped bubblewrap to the insides of the windows. Works a treat.

I've got a 6 x 8 plastic greenhouse, its a slot together one came in 2ft sections have had it 4-5 years and no problems with the plastics, only problem is it lost its door last year as the hinges were only fabric ones and strong wind took it off, still grows everything alright though :laugh1:

Had a couple of plastic greenhouses over the years, first a tiny one (2 foot by 5 foot by 2 foot or something, £20), then a 4 foot by 4 foot by 5 foot (free). They all did the job, and I got good harvests of toms, chillies etc. But the covers never lasted more than a year, and the frames get tired after a couple of years. (If I'd dismantled them and packed them away over winter then they might have lasted longer). Last year, I bit the bullet and got a secondhand aluminium 6 x 4 greenhouse (limited space) for £70, to include dismantling and delivery. I had to lay a concrete base for it, but so far it's lasted way better than the plastic ones (even in the ridiculous winds), and it's been 45C inside in the sun already this year. It also dries wood pretty well. If I had more space, I'd have a bigger one. (Or perhaps a poly tunnel)

So, if you want to give growing a try, just get a cheapy plastic one and a spare cover. If you're fairly serious, go for a proper aluminium job. I chose glass over polcarbonate as glass is much heavier. It's also more dangerous if you've got kids. Never had a wooden framed greenhouse, but while they look good, I suspect they need more maintenance than a metal frame.

If you're handy with tools and have a van or big car, free greenhouses pop up if you can dismantle them and take them away. I'd have done this if I could, but I only had a little car so was happy to pay someone to dismantle it and bring it to me!