Husqvarna 236 issues

pit*rig

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

I'm a new chainsaw owner and having searched high and low for answers on the internet I decided to take the plunge and join a forum.

As a quick rundown, I recently bought a Husky 236 for home use and a bit of practice before upgrading to a larger saw for work. The saw reviews read ok and the price was decent so I got one.

I'm having a hell of a lot of trouble getting this thing going and considering its new and a decent make of saw I'm flummoxed as to what the problem is (other than me).

I've used aspen 2 fuel, so no mixing issues. The chain oils in and its all fixed together fine. Starting it was touchy to start with, primed it; choke out. Burp, then choke in to half. Fired up (choke off), lasted a minute, got it on to low idle, then it died. Since then nothing.

I thought I might have flooded it; but the plugs dry and I'm not getting anything out of it with plug removed.

Also, the pull cord is now jerky with the plug in, but runs smooth when the plugs removed. I looked up basic compression tests which said if the cord can be pulled out under the saws own weight (from the floor) then its got poor compression. Well the cord on mine can.

Any ideas on what could be the issue.

cheers

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

I'm a new chainsaw owner and having searched high and low for answers on the internet I decided to take the plunge and join a forum.

As a quick rundown, I recently bought a Husky 236 for home use and a bit of practice before upgrading to a larger saw for work. The saw reviews read ok and the price was decent so I got one.

I'm having a hell of a lot of trouble getting this thing going and considering its new and a decent make of saw I'm flummoxed as to what the problem is (other than me).

I've used aspen 2 fuel, so no mixing issues. The chain oils in and its all fixed together fine. Starting it was touchy to start with, primed it; choke out. Burp, then choke in to half. Fired up (choke off), lasted a minute, got it on to low idle, then it died. Since then nothing.

I thought I might have flooded it; but the plugs dry and I'm not getting anything out of it with plug removed.

Also, the pull cord is now jerky with the plug in, but runs smooth when the plugs removed. I looked up basic compression tests which said if the cord can be pulled out under the saws own weight (from the floor) then its got poor compression. Well the cord on mine can.

Any ideas on what could be the issue.

cheers

Is the saw new, if it is, take it back to the dealer.

In basic terms, a saw needs compression, spark and fuel to work, if the plug is wet, the spark plug sparks if the saw is pulled over with the plug out, pushed in to the cap and earthed on the cylinder then it sounds like compression.

It sounds like you need someone to give it a good going over - if you post your rough area, one of us techs may offer help!

Steve

hi pit*rig

husqvarna saws have a 2 year warranty take it back to dealer and either get them to sort it out or you want a replacement saw sounds like you may have got a bad saw of the batch

also you can flood em qiute easily if you are not careful

hope that helps

albert

Also, the pull cord is now jerky with the plug in, but runs smooth when the plugs removed.

It's going to pull smooth without the plug in as there'll be no compression with the hole where the plug should be.

Without wanting to be rude, have you read the instruction manual?

Are you pressing the priming bulb enough times?

Iirc it's 6 presses before firing.

Mine's a 135 but same procedure and it was a pain to start originally till I got the hang of it and they do seem to take a while to warm up. I press the bulb until it seems solid so sometimes more than 6 presses and a couple of pulls on full choke. If it's a new saw there will be plenty of compression so it will be jerky.

my 135 can be a night mare to start seems to much compression takes3 times more effort to start than the 365 but i have to say the 135 have loads of power for a little thing and surprised how well built for the money only bought at a saw near chipper but finding been using it for trimming up limbs on the ground cutting down fence post to size to felling small trees to 12inch

• 5 years later...

Hi I have the 326. It’s my first saw and I bought it new 2 1/2 years ago. I have had continual problems with the pull cord assembly - the white plastic unit that the pull cord fits into in the saw housing. It’s also connected to the flywheel. Over 2 + years I have had to have this white unit replaced no less than 3 times at £35 a time. The saw usually starts within 3 pulls, but then it will suddenly become jerky and really hard to pull, and I mean REALLY HARD.   When I then pull harder the white assembly part disintegrates as the flywheel connections dig in in a jerky damaging fashion. Off then to the repair man and another £35. 

In every other way I love this saw, but won’t keep shelling £35, so I’m thinking of cutting my losses and getting a Stihl MS131