300TDi Sepentine belt /water pump pulley problem.

ecodao

Hi there to all

had an interesting day today :laugh1:

finished work early at 3pm and as we left the site first of all i lost power steering then power then we heard a clunking metal sound along the road underneath the vehicle.

when i looked the entire belt pulley wheel for the water pump had snapped off !!

had to be recovered back to the yard. does anyone know if this is a known problem , and is it likely to be a very expensive fix ??

dont know anything about the set up on a 300tdi , as i have only had 200`s in the past.

many thanks

Steve Portugal

Hi Steve,Was she running hot? they have been known to seize and shear…. new pump costs 18 to 35 stg part number PEB500090KIT get the one with gasket and new bolts… belt will cost about a tenner part number ERR5911, check tensioner pulley bearing too if its any way dodgy get one of those too part numberERR4708t by the way the bolt that holds the pulley to the tensioner is a left hand thread. The bearing is held in the tensioner with a circlip.that should doit for you, Jase

Thanks Sandworks , No she wasn't / hasn't been hot , ......However the tensioner pulley bearing has been squeeking an awful lot recently. do you think this may have caused the shearing ?? (all the wheels and pulley move freely by hand )

Thanks Sandworks , No she wasn't / hasn't been hot , ......However the tensioner pulley bearing has been squeeking an awful lot recently. do you think this may have caused the shearing ?? (all the wheels and pulley move freely by hand )

yup that'll be the first indicator…….not a turn up the radio louder type noise,always need seeing too….. :thumbdown:

update

water pump replaced, new belt fitted, .....

However....I need a new Turbo as it has also gone.

and i need to have the head gasket replaced and the head poss skimmed.

presume this is going to be expensive ?? as the engine has to be removed to do all of this ??

I am getting a turbo from UK (hopefully) as they are way expensive over here.

Steve

Portugal

update

water pump replaced, new belt fitted, .....

However....I need a new Turbo as it has also gone.

and i need to have the head gasket replaced and the head poss skimmed.

presume this is going to be expensive ?? as the engine has to be removed to do all of this ??

I am getting a turbo from UK (hopefully) as they are way expensive over here.

Steve

Portugal

Nope that can all be done with the motor in the car and none of it is rocket science, it can also be done with a modicum of skill and tools