Thoughts on Bio Chain Oil

Rye Oil Ltd

Hi, we are new to the forum and I just thought I would throw a question out there that members may be able to help us with.

We are currently working on a range of Bio Chain oil and bio Hydraulic oil. The one that seems to be working best is based on a synthetic ester rather than the standard veg oil.

The question is have many of you used this type of oil and what are your thoughts on it? I have some samples being tested as we speak but any more info is always useful.

Many Thanks

Jon

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate the stuff . It gums up your saws if left for any length of time :thumbdown:

I am hoping this synthetic ester based product wont do that. The main problem with vegetable based bio oil is it breaks down in the saw and that is what gums up the pump. There definitely seems to be a love/hate relationship with bio oil, mostly hate it would seem.

Been running bio oil for 5 years with no problems ... Some times my 395 will sit for weeks without use and it's never had problems oiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hi Matty which bio oil have you been using, and do you clean the saw out if its going to sit around for a bit?

No never cleaned a saw for that reason or emptied it for storage, I picked up a 200t that hasn't been used for 8 months and it oiled fine.. Been using clarkes but also stihl or any thing else I could get my hands on really.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I have used Plant oil and the Bio tack stocked by clark forest. I stick with bio for environmental reasons, just hope that the makers are conscienceous making it. I leave saws for months for several months sometimes and have had no problems with gumming.

However I do think the saws bleed more readily in warmer weather.

Husky 346 xp

Husky 357 xp

Husky 3120 xp

I use the Clarks bio tack and had no problems that would stop me using it. I feel it is affected by the temperature becoming gloopy in the cold and quite thin in the summer. The other thing I have noticed is if I take a bar and chain off a saw and leave it for a few months it gets seized up. Easily freed up with some WD.