What to say if a job is beyond you?

Coletti

All of the above, tell him you'll have a go at it. Then you take lots of pictures, post them up here, and ask the guys with the experience to talk you through it. Maybe even one nearby will pop over and have a look at it for you. And, insist on the best groundie in the crew to work on it with you :) Unless it's that bad, we don't know, post pictures.

Edited by wildflowerbill

Don't use the phrase/word "chicken".

The call you made was based on a calculated risk assessment with your current skill level in mind. It wasn't being a chicken it was a sensible thing to do.

Whilst it is good to push your boundaries, you also want (and should) go home to your loved ones at the end of the day.

Chin up its all a learning curve.

Honesty will always pay if the man himself is a decent person.

I was asked to look at a job by a possible client, last summer, and half way through walking round with the fellow and his wife I turned and said; 'In all honesty this is just too big for me, even with my machinery'.

They had the job done by a team of four much younger men. I have since done two much smaller jobs for this gentleman and have another lined up. I have subbed out one part and everyone is happy!

If you do still want to go ahead with this, I'd advise breaking it down into bite sized pieces or if you are still unsure there's no harm done with saying so! Time to think without pressure may result in a superb piece of work which you could look back upon with pride.....

codlasher