Best axes.

Graham

They are a good shape and thin enough. I have a Whitehouse one but it won't take a good enough edge.

hmmm could the edge have been messed up by some one in the past? for example using a bench grinder to "sharpen" and over heating it?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my fist axe was a kent pattern and it always took a good edge and good edge retention too it was really rusty when I was given it and the name had rusted off but by the shape and what is left of the makers stamp I'd say it was a gilpin chip chop.

hmmm could the edge have been messed up by some one in the past? for example using a bench grinder to "sharpen" and over heating it?

I don't think it's been abused by a bench or angle grinder. It came to me as a rusty discarded tool. No signs of grinding. I cleaned it using a battery charger and washing soda. It will take a passable edge but it will not shave my arm even after leather stropping.

I don't think it's been abused by a bench or angle grinder. It came to me as a rusty discarded tool. No signs of grinding. I cleaned it using a battery charger and washing soda. It will take a passable edge but it will not shave my arm even after leather stropping.

HI GRAHAM i have axe that i got at a show you can shave with it and i went into shop and woman whys all hair gone on your arm then i had to tell woman :lol::lol:thanks jon :thumbup:

HI GRAHAM i have axe that i got at a show you can shave with it and i went into shop and woman whys all hair gone on your arm then i had to tell woman :lol::lol:thanks jon :thumbup:

I end up with a bald left arm after a sharpening session too:001_smile:

any high quality old axe should get very sharp, another thing people do that messes up the hardness is burning an old handle out.. so could be something like that.

any high quality old axe should get very sharp, another thing people do that messes up the hardness is burning an old handle out.. so could be something like that.

They should do but this one won't! I can usually tell if they've been overheated. Maybe this one has in the distant past.

All this sharp enough to shave with is nonsense; makes no difference sharpening it to that degree only makes it go blunt quicker

a well sharpened blade will usually shave the main thing is to not have a burr which is the easy way to get something to shave, but if you sharpen properly with a very fine stone 6000+ grit you should beable to get a very sharp and durable edge, but it won't feel as sharp to the touch as a blade with a burr.