whats wrong with 261 c-m?

Hotrod81

Contemplating buying one of these but can't seem to find any feedback on them. There is plenty for the standard carb model which seems to be a marmite saw. Love it or hate it. Now before everyone starts with the get a 550 advice I know these are great as I have used one on number occasions. However husky dealers are very poor compared to my local Stihl one and that makes a big difference to my thinking. Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I use a 261 it gets worked hard as it is used for brashing most of the time have gas it for 5 months now and not a problem have used it with a 15 inch bar and 18 no problem running both nice little saw if you have any questions just ask will do my best to answer

Hi. I've had one of the standard carb 261's for about nine months and really like it. It cuts faster than our previous 260's.

However, I got one of the new 261 C-M's a few months ago and I don't like it. It doesn't idle properly and there is nothing to adjust! It has been back to the dealer once and it didn't make any difference. I've been told how to reset it - and that didn't make any difference either. It's going to go back to the dealer again when he's back from holiday. Pain in the backside.

I have had a 261 for two years now. Not had a problem with it, except I find the acceleration and deceleration a little slow (and slower than my old 260). It's a decent saw. I like the Husky 550 too, but know that many people have had problems with it, especially with the AutoTune and break bands.

The 261 is getting a bit of a bad rap in this forum, IMHO

"What's wrong with the 261 C-M?"

It's. not a MS 260.

On a serious note - do the 261s still eat clutch bearings?

Having never used a 260 I can't compare to it. The issue with the clutch bearings is interesting because dealer claims that has been sorted. Nobody seems to backing this up.

Morten made a good point about it getting a bad rap. Is this because it's not a 260 so people automatically dislike it or is there more substance to this? The 550 is a good saw so are folks just jumping on the husky bandwagon.

I have had a 261 for two years now. Not had a problem with it, except I find the acceleration and deceleration a little slow (and slower than my old 260). It's a decent saw. I like the Husky 550 too, but know that many people have had problems with it, especially with the AutoTune and break bands.

The 261 is getting a bit of a bad rap in this forum, IMHO

Completely agree.

Had mine since Decemeber 2012, its been worked hard and abused (if im honest).

Apart from the bar and chain its how it left the factory, no issues what so ever, still on original needle bearing.

Cant comment on the C-M carb versions though.