Re Vehicle mounted or towable MEWP

New Boy

Hi,

Does anyone currently use vehicle mounted or towable MEWP on a regular basis, if so would you consider it a worthwhile asset for a small business to own. I like the thought of using the platform approach though I don't want to make a poor investment when in a position to purchase one. What I should say is that I have never used one at this stage.

Could I please ask those of you who do use them how regularly say per week you would be able to do so?

Any specific make/model recommendations would also be appreciated.

Your pictures MEWP also appreciated!

Thanks all

New Boy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seen a brand new hilux mewp yesterday I'm not sure how it'll perform but it looked like the same gear you get on a land rover. It was a smart piece of kit. I like the tracked mewps but I find them a bit top heavy and when tracking them in they're prone to falling over on the smallest incline.

Vehicle mounted is limited to where you can get it

Trailer mount is limited to where you can man handle it to.

Tracked is unlimited, if you can't get a tracked machine in you'll not get any other in.

Why buy vehicle or trailer mount with limited uses

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Arbtalk mobile app

Tracked is unlimited, if you can't get a tracked machine in you'll not get any other in.

I would say you need both, our landy based mewp is the nuts and is really stable. On a plus side for the vehicle based its got massive outreach which the tracked and trailer mewps dont have and you dont need any extra space for the stabilising legs, some of the trailer and tracked mewps need so much space to get set up and then are limited on outreach from the footprint of the legs, example of this would be setting up a mewp against a wall to deal with a massive hedge. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut vehicles wont go through a garden gate so we find ourselves using both.

Bob

There are some advantages to vehicle mounts over tracked and trailer ,quick set up,increased outreach depending on machine,it really depends on the type of work you do and whilst I agree with some of the comments that you need a different machine for different jobs in practice if you own a machine of any type you tend to scheme and use it where ever possible and as I was told over 15 years ago outreach is king!