Wood burning stove with back boiler

The Jackel

OK cheers. Looking at stovesonline there a few newer stoves that can be connected to a sealed unvented system now. Will find a plumber and have a chat.

Dont buy it online, almost zero support and none if a problem. Some are not actually approved dealers for the products they are selling as they grey import them. Select the model you want, go onto the stove manufacturers website and find their dealer in your area, use them. It will cost you 15% more but its well worth that in advice and peace of mind. As a high street retailer he has far higher overheads than a web based organisation operating out of an industrial unit of farmyard.

A

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont buy it online, almost zero support and none if a problem. Some are not actually approved dealers for the products they are selling as they grey import them. Select the model you want, go onto the stove manufacturers website and find their dealer in your area, use them. It will cost you 15% more but its well worth that in advice and peace of mind. As a high street retailer he has far higher overheads than a web based organisation operating out of an industrial unit of farmyard.

A

Fair enough but do you know of any non automatically stoked solid fuel boilers that are certified for direct connection into an unvented system?

Part G apparently allows it as long as there are two separate safety devices but I would doubt the extra cost is justified just for DHW alone, as a couple of baths and washing up (I prefer the dishwasher which has a cold feed anyway) will only cost 5kWh/day =75p so any investment has to be able to make a return of £130/year on savings over electricity.

That's only for the 6 months the stove is running. I'd go for a cheap thermal store with its own F&E tank plumbed in to the combi system or a plate heat exchanger ( which would involve a bit of logic to switch pumps on when the boiler is up to temperature) but would need a radiator to bleed of the few kW of heat the stove would be producing once DHW was up to temperature.

Have a look on boilerstoves.co.uk

Lots of info and boiler stoves that can be linked into an unvented system.

Al

I did look there first, because I am 10 years out of date on domestic systems (I have reason to know something about this because one of my colleagues imported the first domestic pellet stove/boilers in the early days before they could be fitted under building regs, I still have one of them and a couple of other redundant pellet stoves which I intended to run on woodchip), anyway both the retrofit systems they show have the boiler circuit vented with its own F&E tank.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sounds similar to our situation, where we added a large extension to an old house. We opted for a Stovax Stockton 16HB and paid extra for a thermostat. The stove gives 15kw to the water and 7 to the room. We run around This is a very complicated arrangement if you are going to use an additional heat source, such as solar thermal/oil/immersion. We had a thermal store made with four coils which works beautifully. We also have a radiator in the log burning room, this is very useful for when the fire is not lit. Previous comments around insulation are critical. The burner was £2000, tank £1500 and support plumbing doubled that at least. It was a lot, but worth every penny. Glad to talk through my experience if you send me your number by personal message.