Wood burning stove with back boiler

The Jackel

Sold my 1950 Rayburn no 2 last Summer when renovating the house. It had been in since new and sometime along the way converted to oil. In the time we owned the house it did not do anything but heat the kitchen and cook, Ran from Nov to April ish and would use 1400l of oil. Was nice but damned expensive, we could use a lot of extra gas central heating and still save loads. Extended the kitchen and put in a Stovax Stockton 7 multifuel as new but bought second hand for £425.

Managed to sell the rayburn for £90 collected to a commune who were going to convert it to wood.

It was nice but Toooooo expensive to run. Made good roast tatties.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/54641-1950-rayburn-no2-solid-fuel-potential.html

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking at getting a new stove for next winter. now stovax is top of list at mo. want to cut down on the lpg combi boiler. can i get a stove with back boiler and run it instead of the combi or does it have to be open feed for stove. there lies problem have no attic space for header tank. any sugestions apreciated and can you run one or the other as lpg does the hot water so would use in summer instead of stove.

looking at getting a new stove for next winter. now stovax is top of list at mo. want to cut down on the lpg combi boiler. can i get a stove with back boiler and run it instead of the combi or does it have to be open feed for stove. there lies problem have no attic space for header tank. any sugestions apreciated and can you run one or the other as lpg does the hot water so would use in summer instead of stove.

Log burners in domestic properties always needed to have vented systems with the F&E tank as near vertically above the stove as practical and a 22mm overflow to the tank. The reason being that if the stove is fully stoked it must be able to get rid of all the energy from the logs by boiling off water and the water loss must be made up by a separate feed from the tank.

There have been recent changes to part J of the building regs but I have not kept up.

The pellet lobby argued that as such a small amount of wood was fed into the burn pot there was not as great a risk from boiling over in the event of a pump failure.

On larger scale systems the thermal mass of the thermal store was considered large enough a buffer to prevent boiling. There are many reasons to prefer a pressurised system from a plumbing point of view.

A way to combine a combi with a wood burner would be to use a plate heat exchanger into the feed of the combi if it can accept hot water.

Boilers within almost all boiler stoves are not tested to run at the pressures generated by a condensing boiler. The need to vent excess heat is also crucial.

One of my major suppliers is about to launch ( next week) a wood /multifuel cooker that can run on a pressurised system with a condensing boiler and feed heat into a bulk energy store. There are no plans at present to expand this system which as far as I am aware is an industry first to their range of boiler stoves.

A

You will need some type of storage vessel- cylinder or heat bank/store. We ran our existing combi to heat the heat bank until we got round to installing the new boiler stove. Probably not the most efficient use of a combi but if you set the system up with buffer stats then you can get the combi to fire longer and less often.

• 5 months later...
dunsleyheat website - Multifuel stoves in this combination the boiler bit is after the combustion chamber! Along with the Brosley Evoloution 26 the only relatively cheap biomass to be DEFRA exempt!:001_cool:

Morso DB15 boiler stove uses the same Down Burn technology. Not Defra but thats possibly acedemic anyway. Heat output to water is only 8.8kw max on logs so probably not suited to the posters requirements.

Since my posts in the spring things have moved on, there is now a Stratford dedicated wood burning boiler stove that can be sold at 5% VAT, there will shortly be at least one more.

Morso DB15 can I think now be used in a pressured system, pretty sure I noticed extra qwenching water inlet and outlet ports when I was having a look at one a few weeks ago.

Evo26 is cheap for what it is and is about the only stove that is eligible for RHI grants. God knows how they got it approved though.

A