Wood burning stove with back boiler

The Jackel

Thanks for that, I cant really see why it should be put forward as minus against a properly designed stove + boiler with an output sufficient to run the required number of rads and heat the room its in though.

slim

The point being that many stoves are just boxes where single skin metal surface is the only heat exchange. stuff a few baffles in the bottom and temperatures are maintained, flue gases thengive up heat to the top after combustion is complete. A back boiler low in the stove removes heat before combustion is complete because water is some 400 times better at carrying heat per unit

volume. A properly designed back boiler and wood burning are contradictions in terms as the boiler bit needs to be after the combustion chamber. This is different from coal burning because of the different ratio of volatile gases given off so most of the heat is from secondary combustion.

Edited by openspaceman

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You see because your woodburner output has to be so great to heat the water when cold once the hot water is satisfied then the woodburner is way over kill to heat the room, you can get an air circulation unit now which apparently are really good just a massive extractor fan to pump it throughout the house

When our hot water is satisfied or when we feel the need we switch on a water circulation fan which circulates the hot water from the stove around the house and through a set of heat exchangers.

Its really good, it is also small and quiet and we can adjust how much heat goes through each heat exchanger so that each room gets the proportion of heat we think it needs.

It all seems to work pretty well to me and I have never noticed that the woodburner is way overkill to heat the room, in fact so much heat goes to the water that we eventually added a radiator in the lounge.

Its been there for nearly 20 years and when it dies - which it will pretty soon - it will be replaced by another similar unit.

I may even line the chimney this time.

Cheers

mac

I have a 'Stratford ecoboiler' which is the jacket type rather than back boiler plumbed into an existing open vented oil system . Highly efficient and gives us the best of both worlds - come in late and turn the oil boiler for an hour then light the fire and the boiler then kicks out as the burner gets up to heat. Chews wood but I reckon we save £800-£1k of oil a year. Would be dreadfully inefficient if I had to buy would though....

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1393839976.634313.jpg.df8f554c0bb426bdf3b5bf6fc2dbdcb0.jpg

Ok so here is the cooker/boiler I've been looking at!!!

I'm now wondering if it really is economical given the comments about how much wood I will go through!!

I might just buy the cooker and sit on it untill I decide!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1393839969.676140.jpg.cdf41bdf8614f20dcaeeed0a8bb378af.jpg

[ATTACH]150482[/ATTACH][ATTACH]150483[/ATTACH]

Ok so here is the cooker/boiler I've been looking at!!!

I'm now wondering if it really is economical given the comments about how much wood I will go through!!

I might just buy the cooker and sit on it untill I decide!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Just ripped my rayburn royal out......

Had it new in 1991, it was dirty, inefficient and didn't work very well.....

We smashed it out and the internals were pretty well worn out

The rayburn in my old house was great by comparison

Could stack it up on friday and go away for weekend, come back sunday to warmish house, riddle through, add coal and away it went.....

I think a fifty year old rayburn is better quality than new......

But with price of coal.........not worth it anymore ....

We fitted a Dunsley Yorkshire boiler stove, gives 6Kw to the room and 8Kw to water, so although a large stove it doesn't overheat the room. We have it connected to a DPS thermal heat bank along with an oil fired boiler and hopefully solar thermal in the future. It works great, fully automated so that when the bank is up to temp either the stove auto damps down or it will dump heat to rads/UFH. DHW is also at mains pressure via plate heat exchanger. Although not the cheapest setup, I can honestly say that it functions really well. Cdo

That's the best way to bring an old system into a modern set up, must have cost a fortune!

Ha Ha. Yes not a cheap option but it takes the reliance away from oil. (Installed when oil price was >70p/litre) Only really worth doing if you are in a position where you need to change the cylinder and stove or new build and you have a free or cheap supply of wood. I still rate a stand alone wood burner for room heating. Cheers Cdo

Just ripped my rayburn royal out......

Had it new in 1991, it was dirty, inefficient and didn't work very well.....

We smashed it out and the internals were pretty well worn out

The rayburn in my old house was great by comparison

Could stack it up on friday and go away for weekend, come back sunday to warmish house, riddle through, add coal and away it went.....

I think a fifty year old rayburn is better quality than new......

But with price of coal.........not worth it anymore ....

Aga Rayburn....Prime example of a company trading on its past record. Their newer boiler stoves have a shocking reputation. I have heard of them lasting 5yrs and then cost of fixing them being so expensive that you might as well scrap them. And that was from a supplier/installer. Very sad.