Wood burning stove with back boiler

The Jackel

Looking for some advice on a wood burner with back boiler or wood fuelled boiler. We are having a single storey extension built 6m x 5m as a living room. We would like to install either a new wood burner in the room with a back boiler or a new boiler that uses wood fuel. Not sure on suitable makes, prices and sources any advice would be welcomed. The rest of the cottage is a three bed barn conversion approx 20m x 5m with oil fired central heating at the moment. Got plenty of wood fuel for either option

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the stove front;

6mx5m x say 2.5m to the ceiling, = 75 cu meters to heat, good insulation divide by 16, so around 4.8kw, average divide by 14 so just over 5kw. If my mental maths is about right.

Thats heat to room to give you at 21 deg C temp rise if its 1C outside while showing good flames in the firebox. Now you need to work out how much heat to water you need, this depends on the number and size of rads or is it being linked to a thermal store. a 600mm x 1m twin rad will want 2kw for example.

Add in heat loss in the pipes, 3 beds, + lounge + kitchen + bathroom + hall, so probably 7 or 8 rads, about 16/18kw to water I would estimate or 20kw if you also want to add DHW. Thats a big stove with a big wood appetite, it will go through probably 12 cubic meters of logs a winter maybe more.

So once you have the figures then you need to find a stove of the relevant size, say 5kw + 18kw for example. If you want I can e mail you details of the outputs of my normal boiler stoves, pm me if you wish with your address. If you live in a smoke control area ( some of the larger towns and cities) then that creates another problem but its not impossible. You also need to look at your plumbing, last two I have done also needed extensive plumbing work, if you have a combi boiler ( so a pressured system) I suggest you consult a qualified plumber with experience in the field.

I would recommend that you don't but cheap chinese but stay with a well known brand that is actually made in the UK or Western Europe. There are several brands now having their products made in the far east to the detriment of the quality. You need a long service life and replacement parts to be readily available in the future, most chinese have no spares support at all.

Others are probably better qualified to advise on dedicated stand alone boilers, I have looked at Centeral Boiler's models, they seem good bits of kit. I know one member here was installing one last summer.

A

Hi

For the water cylinder you may like to consider a Newark Thermal store, this is an excellent solution for water heating from an uncontrolled heat source.

We use a small Rayburn 216M to heat a couple of radiators & a thermal store, produces ample hot water & all done by convection flow (no pumps).

The great thing about a thermal store is that you can specify the coils in it, so you could get an extra transfer coil in it so you can use solar thermo tubes to heat your water in summer when Rayburn/Fire is shut down.

N

How well insulated / draftproofed is your barn conversion?

We heat a similar sized - and not dissimilar construction- house with a Hunter 20 multifuel, its not a name you hear much of nowadays but it has lasted well and provided adequate heat.

Alicydons figures above look ok to me - if your insulation is good then you can probably get away with a bit less particularly if you use the valves to control the radiators as necessary. My feeling is that 20Kw would be more than enough as long as insulation is good.

I would not worry about heat loss in the pipes unless they are run so as to lose the heat to the loft, ours are run under floorboards and their heat loss is fed into the house.

I would put a radiatior in the lounge as well as the fire, we found that too low a proportion of the stove heat was fed to the room and eventually retrofitted a radiator.

If you are fitting a new system then I would seriously look at including a thermal store to allow the heating to be used early mornings etc.

Cheers

mac

[

I would put a radiatior in the lounge as well as the fire, we found that too low a proportion of the stove heat was fed to the room and eventually retrofitted a radiator.

If you are fitting a new system then I would seriously look at including a thermal store to allow the heating to be used early mornings etc.

Cheers

mac

Agreed on the rad, at 6am the heating will kick in but the stove will be pretty well out.

A