cscs card

simonm

That's alright then - I was under the impression that it is an overpriced box ticking exercise (and two course providers basically suggested it was to me as well)... A good tutor makes all the difference to be fair.

Out of interest what was covered that NPTC training and assessment doesn't touch on?

From an employers' point of view I don't have a problem investing in training if it benefits my staff (ie they come away with new skills/knowledge). I am frustrated by what appear to be an increase in barriers to work that are occasionally nothing more than revenue generating exercises concocted by training providers. Recently we had to do a manual handling course as the last one we completed (12 months ago) had a 12 month expiry date on the certificate! One of our clients picked up on the fact that the certificates had effectively run out - if there was no expiry date they would have been happy as their box was ticked (we had proof that we had completed the relevant course).

Not sure how to answer that mate...its been years since my NPTC.i'm just a humble tree surgeon who sits a course when told to.All i know is my Boss likes the nescessary cards/tickets held and doesn't do that unless he deems it what is required. We do attend some major sites for clients such as Enterprise/amey....Carillion..Fountains etc ..

Yeah, we work for a number of the big players and sing to their tune. As said, I have no issue with training when new information is taught/learned. The assessment you sat in Newcastle I'd imagine was the touch screen health and safety test, which can be sat by anyone without having to attend the ROLO course. The ROLO course combined with passing that test then gets you the green card. I'm interested to know what industry specific info is taught on the ROLO course as £175 plus the day's wages plus lost earnings is a significant investment for an employer. Other trades pay significantly less to get their associated cards, but they sit the same health and safety touch screen test...

• 5 years later...
On 19/08/2015 at 00:26, Chinster said:

Hello Everyone,

The issue of CSCS and ROLO etc is pretty confusing.

I took the CITB general "Health, Safety and Environment" computer test a couple of days ago. I passed. I am not really sure what to do next.

I know that the official route is to now take the ROLO test to get the blue "Skilled Operative" card, but it seems like a very expensive test/card!

I can see that some of you have been using the standard Green "operative" CSCS card. Are most sites still OK with this card? Even for climbers etc?

I am newly qualified up to CS30/31. Would this mean that I would officially have to apply for the Blue card?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Mitch

Did you figure this out Mitch?

6 hours ago, xander2 said:

Did you figure this out Mitch?

I've been told The Green card is coming under more scrutiny as too many trades are doing the bare minimum to get through the site gate then picking up their tools once they're in to undertake work their labourer card doesn't entitle them to do. As with most of these things it depends how on the ball each site agent is.

The citb site says 

'If you do not have these qualifications, but you are experienced in your job and have registered for a qualification applicable to your occupation, you may apply for an Experienced Worker Card. Click here for further details on the Experienced Workers card.'

In my experience the citb are helpful when you phone them and they just want your money for card applications and test fees, so if you phone them up and explain you need site access for tree works and that your Lantra/NPTC cert is the standard for your industry I can't see why they wouldn't issue a blue 'skilled worker' card.

I converted my mechanics NVQ to one even though it isn't construction related, just said I might be required to maintain plant as I knew how and supplied the certificate and that was enough.

• Like 1

The CSCS green card a general workers card. The CSCS blue card is a skilled workers card. To get this card you need a level 2 NPTC/Lantra cert In your chosen skill, which can be gained by having  NPTC/Lantra cert, which has to be no older than 5yrs.

I will add, the green card lasts for 2yrs, the blue card lasts for 5yrs

Edited by Paul Cleaver