Contractor plans for 2008

Lee Winger

So what will next year hold for us then? anyone got a crystalball? I think we're going to be in for a lean year to be honest! if the end of this year was anything to go by.

What plans have you got? i'm planning on better storage for my kit, i'm not sure if to go with a few new large sheds or just get a container, i've converted a room in my house to an office at last.

I'm also, to my wifes delight going to sell kit that simply doesn't go to work, knackered kit is off too.

Hopefully by mid January my new website should be up and running. Its amazing how time consuming it is putting a website together.

I'm thinking about knocking firewood on the head next year, too much agro for not enough reward imo, firewood is good if its a big part of your biz and you have a proccesser and only split cord wood, turning arb waste into firewood is a nightmare.

We might develop a few acres of land I own into a nursery, but i'm not sure, i'll need to do some number crunching to see if its viable, no point throwing good money down the drain, not forgetting all the hard work involved.

Other than that 2008 will be the same old same as, I guess.

What plans have you guys got?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good to have a plan Lee.

I want to have both of my trucks shotblasted and resprayed. I recently put a bid in on a woodland, so If that comes off, I will be relocating my business.

I want to do more work for estates, and less for builders.

With any luck, in the next 3 months, all my kit will be owned outright, no more finance for me.

So what will next year hold for us then? anyone got a crystalball? I think we're going to be in for a lean year to be honest! if the end of this year was anything to go by.

I'd agree with the lean year bit..I might have to look into diversifying a bit, see if I can get trained and set up in something different..i'm already setting myself up to be a NPTC assessor, which should be a steady low risk earner, providing people come up with the work they've promised..I've got no plans to buy any kit at all..

I need to get some money in this summer, whatever I do, although last year, the only choice round here seemed to be to join a landscaping crew cutting grass for minimum wage..:bawling:

i've just landed a felling job 2 miles up from my house at a quarry. the rate isnt great but i should get a couple of months work out of it. looking at getting a website built by my brother in law at the moment. maybe do a bit of landscaping for mate aswell if i have to.

Its good to have a plan Lee.

I want to have both of my trucks shotblasted and resprayed. I recently put a bid in on a woodland, so If that comes off, I will be relocating my business.

I want to do more work for estates, and less for builders.

With any luck, in the next 3 months, all my kit will be owned outright, no more finance for me.

What about any equipment sales? i've only got a small amount on tick, like you heres to zero finance...:cheers:

What do you think about the economy next year Ed?

Well my first chipper have not chipped a pencil yet so my aim this year is to use my chipper haha.

First job this year is my christmas tree its getting the chip.

I think this year will be a tick over year as money market scares will make people keep the cash more.